Is 15 days wait period usual in trying for a refund through bank for paypal transaction

Doodlemoll

I am trying to get a refund for a paypal transaction. Last night I paid €250 for Electric picnic ticket through Paypal, ticket didn’t arrive. No response from seller. Paypal resolution centre have said they wont refund as I made the payment through friends and family rather than goods and services. The payment shows as pending in my AIB account but the bank have said it cant be stopped. still pending in AIB bank account. I phoned Paypal who suggested I could make a charge back dispute through the bank. I phoned Bank who said to keep screenshots of the messages to and from the seller and paypal as evidence of the transaction and to contact the bank again in 15 days time. Is 15 days usual ?

Why pay through Family & Friends?

Genuine sellers will ask for it as they're not hit with Paypal fees and they get exactly what you send.

A workaround is for the buyer to send a little extra (i.e. cover the fee) but via Goods & Services - that way the seller gets the full amount & buyer is protected.

15 days not unusual for a chargeback.

You are caught in a difficult place because you used friends/family option there is an assumption no services/purchases were exchanged and hence no buyer protection from paypal.

I had a poor experience with BOI trying to do a chargeback for a deposit for a car ordered with a main dealer. They kept delaying on refunding saying it was done then saying the would send it via IBAN. BOI wanted a copy of the terms and conditions. I don't think many buyers have that type of information to hand. I would have thought my case was straight forward they were withholding the deposit although they have said they would refund but BOI said it did not qualify for a chargeback.

I am trying to get a refund for a paypal transaction.
Not helpful in your situation, but my experience with PayPal recently has been awful!

I have 3 monthly subscriptions for below €10 going through PayPal all fine. 3 months ago all of a sudden a €1.99 subscription was charged to another card. I thought it was fraud and challenged it with Wise and PayPal.

I know there is a lot of chat around Neo Banks, but PayPal's customer support was non existent! I told them they charged the wrong card, how the hell did that happen??? Got messed around no help whatsoever.

Wise were great PayPal were totally and utterly useless. I just changed my subscription to bill another card. Not going near PayPal again....

Unfortunately I reckon it is likely you will have to swallow the loss as you paid by friends and family.

Bank is unlikely to do a charge back as the payment was valid (correct that they can't stop it) and PayPal will say that sending by friends and family means no rights to reversal and I'm near certain they flag this to you when making the payment.

Unless you really know the person, never send by friends and family no matter what the other person claims. It's literally giving up all protection of PayPal.

I suspect the bank will tell you in 15 days that there is nothing they can do.

Good outcome for me AIB processed the charge and refunded in full today.