is 10,000 enough to invest on stock market

nasher

Hoping to invest over the coming year i am new to investing, and i hope to spread this money over different sectors for risk purposes.I have read a lot of the posts regarding the fees for trading stocks and i am feeling to have a balanced portfolio it may not be enough taking costs into account.

any help please

i would go with spread betting to be honest. irish stockbrokers are a rob

Please see my post here regarding a low cost american broker.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=97602&highlight=Interactive

If you trade US shares, trades are $1 per trade. If you trade European (you can't trade Irish) it will be €4 per trade. The minimum commission is $10 (about €7.60) per month.

Therefore, with €10,000 you will have a commission of €91.20 per year (less than 1%) and you'll be able to make 2 European trades or 10 US trades per month included in that.

The 1% commission will obviously decrease as you add more money or the value of the shares increase. With the likes of Quinn Direct, you will always pay 1% (until year 15)

Thanks guys not sure if i would attempt spread betting do not know much about it a bit risky for a novice,read that thread on the charges of ib cannot do much better than that.

Depends on how much you want to lose.

Seriously, all the world markets are in freefall. This would be the worst possible time to start playing the stock market. If the professional investors are all losing money a novice hasn't a hope.

If you do want to invest in the markets and spread your risk, you should buy tracker shares that follow a particular index.

As for spread betting. Better go down to the bookies and invest on the horses.

Appreciate that i will look into trackers i am a bit of a way off investing yet as i am doing the legwork at the moment books,internet,and so on see ya down the bookies.

That was closer to the bone than you think nasdaq,share options its all coming back now thats all i will say.

aw murt, dont start this silly arguement again about spread betting being the same as horses. that is such an uninformed , immature comment .if you want to buy shares in a company , why not just go long the same stock in spread betting and any gains are tax free.

why not short the markets , ye sound like long only , long term, boring buy and hold people