Hi

Sorry for the long post and the tons of questions

Looking and iRivers seem the best and checked them out on www.komplett.ie
If anyone has any of the below can they answer me
I was looking at the below

PMP-120
IFP 990 / 995 /999

What I want is a player with a radio and enough storage capacity not massive
Also I want to be able to link up to my cd player and load discs rather than going through PC
I would also like to link to my PC and load some songs from there.
I also have some cassettes which I want to transfer onto it. So is there one that can do this and also record direct from radio

I know the PMP plays movies but I am not specifically looking for that function
I just want to know does it provide the above

In relation to earpieces is there one where you can click on the next song or radio station from a button on the earpieces & are they easily replaced as I have heard of cases where the right or left earpiece breaks

The battery power usage on the above and how long they last
and if they can be re-charged?

I checked out Peats also but Komplett seem cheaper but is there anywhere else I can buy either online(and not paying import tx) or any store that sells them ?

Trying to contact komplett is like calling Elvis!!

Thanks

There are of this iRiver model on the web.

IrishGunner said:
Also I want to be able to link up to my cd player and load discs rather than going through PC

I don't get this. Surely something has to rip the CDs to MP3 or WMA or whatever and unless your CD player does this (which I doubt) you will always need a PC to rip and download songs to the iRiver? (Update: just read the description on Amazon and it seems that this iRiver can rip tracks from a normal CD player all by itself so a PC is not required, but can still be used, to rip and transfer tracks. It also includes Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery with a stated 5/10 hours lifetime for audio/video).

I also have some cassettes which I want to transfer onto it. So is there one that can do this and also record direct from radio

is a good place to start for links about how to record from analog sources and convert to digital (e.g. MP3, WMA etc.). Quality may not be great though.

The battery power usage on the above and how long they last
and if they can be re-charged?

The specifications for any particular device should quote indicative battery life and charge times and whether or not the device includes a rechargeable battery (most do). In practice battery lifetime may be less than quoted as manufacturers often quote best case figures (e.g. the battery lifetime if you never skip tracks thereby militating against the device's buffering from hard disk to memory and thus using up more power).

Cheers

Yeah did the normal google on them but there is so much out there

Was really interested in where to buy them in Ireland ?

Have seen some uk sites and komplett but looking for anywhere else or any recommendations

Ta

IrishGunner said:
Yeah did the normal google on them but there is so much out there

Including detailed specifications and reviews which, I reckon, would answer most of your questions above. It's a good idea to read up on as much of this stuff as possible before buying. Forewarned is forearmed and all that...

Was really interested in where to buy them in Ireland ?

If I was buying one I'd look to buy one online or in the US if somebody was travelling, rather from an Irish online or high street retailer, due to the potential savings involved. Of course one drawback of buying outside the EU might be the difficulty in obtaining support in the event of problems arising especially if the warranty does not extend to Ireland etc.

If you're looking to convert cassettes, I got a thing in Argos (also available in many other places I'm sure). It's called a Creative Soundblaster 5.1 (was around €70 I think). Quality isn't great, especially volume, but with a bit of tweaking you might be able to improve.

Do you mean a Creative Soundsblaster 5.1 sound card? If so then any sound card with a line in should do the same trick - no need for a specific make or model. If the PC already has a sound card with a line in then there should be no need to buy more hardware. If the volume is low then it could be the line levels or the wrong sort of input (e.g. microphone versus other line in) was used.

I guess it is a type of soundcard, even though it's external and is fairly chunky. Laptop doesn't have a line in, so needed this thingy to convert cassettes. Cheers for the advice on the volume/quality issue.

Have just bought an Iriver 795 from Komplett. When I was looking MX2.com were the cheapest but when I went to order they had increased the price.

By the way the cheapest was www.teamdigital.net but I did not chance it as they are based in asia.

The sound quality is great. The battery life is very good, rated at 40hrs. But the little joy stick eats up the power.
The earphone don't have volume control. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a sports armband. But I have seen these for sale on ebay.

Lots of other gadgets which I haven't figured out yet

Regards

Unregistered said:
Have just bought an Iriver 795 from Komplett. When I was looking MX2.com were the cheapest but when I went to order they had increased the price.

By the way the cheapest was www.teamdigital.net but I did not chance it as they are based in asia.

The sound quality is great. The battery life is very good, rated at 40hrs. But the little joy stick eats up the power.
The earphone don't have volume control. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a sports armband. But I have seen these for sale on ebay.

Lots of other gadgets which I haven't figured out yet

Regards

Cheers
Checked out mx2.com and rang them & its free delivery to Ireland.Where did the cost increase ? Also tried komplett but their response time is long waiting a week for an email response

Did you get an AC adapter with it ? Pity about volume control etc on earpieces as dont want to flash the iRiver on the bus
Whats the little joy stick ??

TA

Back