Irish Visa card debt whilst UK resident.

Lululubelle

Hi All,

It's been a while since I last posted here, but I've a couple of queries. I unfortunately amassed about 12k on my visa card which I could no longer pay off, so I returned card to visa in Dublin cupla years ago. Unfortunately I'd been living off it after the demise of a rather disastrous marriage when I'd been left with no settlement.

I live in Britain, but last year I was fortunate to get a 6 month work contract in Ireland. So I went in in person to my bank to tell them I wished to start paying off some of my debt, which I duly did. Unfortunately the work ended close to NOvember, so I returned to reside again in UK. I'm presently filling out their table of incomings/outgoings etc etc....and as I'm not yet employed am again on the breadline whilst studying. I cannot afford to make ANY repayments now.

I'm about to complete the forms to send to the visa company, one thing worries me though. I hope this doesn't seem like a trivial issue (and I know many have it waaay tougher than me)-but by declaring I own my small flat over here, is there any possibility once they have this knowledge, they could try force me to sell a UK property over this debt in Ireland??

Any advice or opinions would greatly help. Thanks everyone.

Ps...I need to mention that the bank told me last month via phone that after this month, my debt will no longer be with them and will be passed on to a debt collection agency. I find it hard to imagine they'd track me down to UK......but I have heard stranger stories, especially in these times. Many thanks...

The debt collection agency will get any information the bank has about you. If you have given your english address then they will contact you there. If you still have a phone contact they will ring you and try and get payment using the usual channels which is based on threats. If they find you have an asset (they would have to be sure you have one) they may persue with all sorts of threatening letters. They cannot force you to sell thouogh but they can get a charge on the property so that on the sale in future they get the amount owing. I would cut off all links with the bank at this stage and take the chance they will not be in touch. I would also recommend not giving any information which may help them. Things they can use to find you though would be former partners, family members etc. Think very carefully before you return that letter !

To Elcato

Thanks for the reply, very informative. Am heeding your advice, just a worry I have for if I wish to return to live in Ireland in say...10 years. If I inherit a small cottage between a sibling and I from a great Aunty.......could they come after me then?

If anyone knows this kinda stuff, I thank you in advance..

If you get any paper correspondance then always check it. If they get in touch by phone by all means explain that you don't have it. If they don't get in touch they will eventually write it off but that could take a few years. It would be very unlikely they will catch up with you after ten years but deal with that when it happens. Remember one thing at all times - negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. Don't be afraid to make an offer for less as a final settlement.

Your position is a lot better than many others for paying off your debt even if it was a small amount every week.
I totally agree here as well, on condition that the bank/debt collection co. have stopped all interest and charges and are just looking to collect the amount owed. Credit card interest rates are way too high for someone to 'chip away' at if they keep adding interest.

Back