Irish VAT on a UK hosted Shopping Cart

Tony

Hi All,

People are probably sick of me asking question but i have another the site i am about to open is going to be hosted by a UK vendor but they can only display VAT at UK rates on the invoice. If i mention on the site that all prices include VAT at the irish rates leave the WEBSITE rate at 0% would i be covered legally? To get the vendor to display the Irish rates is not possible and i like everything else that they are offering.

Regards
Anthony

Do you intend to only do business in the Republic?

Have to say it seems strange that the UK hosters cannot change the VAT rate - surely it's only a little piece of code?

A VAT invoice is so-called partially because the VAT amount must be clearly identified. If selling business to business, not displaying VAT as a separate entry will be a problem I'm sure. Selling to non-VAT registered individuals, it probably won't matter.

Another possible hiccup in displaying a VAT inclusive price could be shipping - this may or may not come into it, but no VAT on post vs VAT on courier etc...a lot may depend on the functionality of your site.

I will only be trading in the republic and mainly to individuals if i was to trade to a business it would be an extremly rare occurance and i could generate an invoice manually. I do not expect to exceed the VAT threshold for a long time (well i wish it would be fast) realistically. If i ever need to register for VAT then i could mention on the site that all price are inclusive of 21.5% Vat then I should be covered right?

I think so Tony - but I couldn't be sure.

What about the shipping aspect - might that be an issue or will you always be dispatching via the same method with VAT included (or not as the case may be) ?

... If i ever need to register for VAT then i could mention on the site that all price are inclusive of 21.5% Vat then I should be covered right?
But is that another way of saying that the current prices include VAT (i.e. prices won't change after you register)?

hmmmm not sure i am being charged VAT when i buy the stock but when i sell it I am not charging VAT as i am not registered for it. I completely missed it here i am being charged vat but not charging for it am i mental? what do all other sole traders do?

initially i wasnt going to charge it as i wasnt going to be registered for it and it made sense to me.

Back