Irish Times - sub-editing standards

Complainer

Has anyone else noticed what appear to be basic sub-editing errors in the Times recently? I've noticed a few in recent weeks, but when I spotted two errors on the same day, I thought it might be worth follow up here. Here's today's examples;
[FONT="]Patio area planned for Collins home challenged

[/FONT]
[FONT="]A PATIO decking area in Kells Bay, Co Kerry, attached to the rebuilding of the residence of former MEP and minister Gerry Collins has run into difficulties after a complaint to the planning department of Kerry County Council.[/FONT][FONT="]A private family retreat, the house, with a boathouse and slipway on to the sea, is frequently used by the Collins family.[/FONT][FONT="]

Mr Collins said he was "devastated" at the burning and immediately set about plans to rebuild it. According to the plans submitted to the council by Mr Collins and his wife Hilary, the split-level bungalow is to be used as a retirement home. The application was lodged in June for reconstruction and extension of the bungalow including "extended patio deck" area. The development was granted permission in October.[/FONT]

So what is 'the burning' that devastated Mr Collins?

[FONT=&quot]ESB ordered to remove lamp post blocking view of Dublin Bay[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

A RESIDENT of Killiney has won a court order directing the removal of an eyesore spoiling his panoramic view of Dublin Bay.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Andrew Fitzpatrick, counsel for Mr McDonnell, told the Circuit Civil Court yesterday his client had prepaid the ESB just short of €30,000 to bury cabling to his home and the site of the new lamp post. While the overhead wires had been removed and underground cabling had been installed, the old pole remained in situ and the new one, which was to have been placed nine metres from the the old one, had not been erected.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Judge Jacqueline Linnane heard that despite conciliatory talks, the parties remained far apart when it came to deciding which of them should have liaised with Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council about the placement of the new pole.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]She was told the local authority could not remove the old pole carrying the overhead wiring because it belonged to the ESB. The ESB, when it was installing underground cabling to Mr McDonnell's home and the site of the new lamp post, could not erect the new pole because that was the job of the county council. As a result the old thick pole had to remain in place for security reasons.[/FONT]
So who is 'Mr McDonnell'? The first mention in the second paragraph refers to 'counsel for Mr McDonnell' but hasn't yet explained who Mr McDonnell is. Wouldn't it be usual to give both a forename and surname?

I'm guessing that in both of these cases, some part of the introductory paragraphs got cut from the story, without anyone checking for consistency. Should we be expecting a higher standard from the 'paper of record'?

I'm told that as of last week they have started spelling catastrophe with a 'y'.

Back