Irish staycation 2020/2021 Pros and Cons, will you be tempted?

indications at the time were that the level or prevalence didn't justify the widespread wearing of masks in the face of global shortages. As more and more evidence became available that contradicted their understanding, those same scientists were forced to admit that they were wrong. That admission was the nexus for the change in advice globally.

What’s the difference now and then as regards prevalence.

If global shortage was the problem, them we could have made masks or used scarves. Not buying that.

You’ve proved my point though. The scientists were wrong. But heck, I’ve no idea if they are right now. And I’ve less reason to trust them. Do you realise there is no consistency.

This is not the first time I have seen posters refer to a future recession.

It has started already.

It started in March 2020.

It is a very sharp drop in output/income.

We are in it now.

The very sharp drop during Q2 might continue into Q3.

There may be six months of very sharp falls.

The recession will be short, and very sharp.

The recovery will be slow.
I’m not seeing short the way this is going. I’m seeing very deep,

Yes, fair enough, technically a recession is the falling part of income.

During 2021 income will be below its former path, but recovering, so technically that won't be a recession, but will be below full income.

You’ve proved my point though. The scientists were wrong. But heck, I’ve no idea if they are right now. And I’ve less reason to trust them. Do you realise there is no consistency.

Your point was masks were pointless. I really do hope you don't honestly think I proved that.

If you've no idea if they are right now, perhaps go read a few of the studies, read their findings and then review the methodology of how they came to those conclusions. You'll find all the consistency you want there.

That's fair enough Leo. All I see is that everybody has masks now but the figures keep rising anyway. Even the much vaunted countries that seemed to be doing well, they are still getting cases. Like Australia. Time will tell if Sweden made the right decision. And I think that time will be this winter.

That's fair enough Leo. All I see is that everybody has masks now but the figures keep rising anyway. Even the much vaunted countries that seemed to be doing well, they are still getting cases. Like Australia.

Masks don't block 100% of particles, even the N95 rated respirators allow 5% or airborne particles through. Most of the clusters here have been linked to house parties and workplaces where masks aren't being worn.

Time will tell if Sweden made the right decision. And I think that time will be this winter.

Sweden have already admitted they got it wrong. Studies have shown their plan of taking short term pain to achieve herd immunity has failed. Their hope their economy would suffer little and recover quickly has also been dashed.

One negative of holidaying at home this summer is the public toilets situation. It’s never been this country’s strong point. Far from it. But many have been closed down because of the pandemic and cafes etc are charging non customers for use of their facilities (50c) due to their extra cleaning costs.

Had a stay in a north Dublin Hotel over the weekend and was actually impressed with the service and handling of the covid situation which was by the book and with no alcohol available outside the restaurant sitting apart from the one €6.75 pint which we were served in the lobby after a some time spent charming the f & b manager..;);) So overall the experience was quite enjoyable for a couple but I think the night out with the gang would be quite different from what would have gone before.

I visited Dublin Zoo today and due to restrictions they have a one-way only system in operation, all indoor areas are closed and you have to book your slot and time prior to going (no problem with that as used to do it anyway). It was maybe a little less crowded than normal (which was nice) but it does restrict a lot of the areas you go to visit and you can’t go back on yourself. Not many practising social distancing inside especially when clamoring to see the animals on view. Plenty of toilets open and some kiosks open for food and drink to takeaway.

Was still a nice walk around with the kids though but not sure id return until more of the full amenities are back open. Heard a lot of northern accents so seemed a lot of people from up north coming to Dublin for stays.

Had a one night stay in a Meath hotel last Saturday night. Staff had face shields and gloves. As residents we had drinks on show of room key to lounge seated area, actual bar not open, table service. Spacing was fine and breakfast area was fine also. We ate out in a local restaurant and everything was fine also, staff wore masks and gloves and tables were spaced well. Have a wedding to attend on 14 August assuming no return to tighter restrictions.

So much hot air and misinformation in this thread. Ridiculous stuff.

Some of us do try challenge that whenever we spot it and have time. Feel free to do likewise. We have removed some dangerously bad advice, but sometimes the explanation as to why it's bad serves to educate others.

Just back from a few days in Co.Clare..i must say it was a different experience than other years with the number of holidaymakers definitely lower ..particularly around the Cliffs of Mohar and Ennis town where we were based, but overall it was a pleasant and enjoyable experience..

...i must say it was a different experience than other years with the number of holidaymakers definitely lower ..

Interesting. Media reports suggest that Lahinch has been over-crowded. My wife’s friend spent a week in Doolin and said it was horrible it was so jammers.
Maybe the beach areas are busier and elsewhere quieter.

The amount of cars in Donegal was more than I have ever seen up there. Some beaches were packed but the beauty about Donegal is that you only need to drive around the coast for another bit and you'll find an equally nice beach practically empty. Just be sure to bring a picnic as some may be a long way from any eateries!

The amount of cars in Donegal was more than I have ever seen up there. Some beaches were packed but the beauty about Donegal is that you only need to drive around the coast for another bit and you'll find an equally nice beach practically empty. Just be sure to bring a picnic as some may be a long way from any eateries!
We were in North Mayo (Belmullet) and the beaches there are just stunning, got in for a swim every day apart from one. My mates who have a house there said it was way busier than normal, but it's not busy compared to Clare/Kerry/Cork. Any particular beaches you'd recommend in Donegal? We might be heading up there next month. Cross Beach in Mayo is beautiful but perhaps better for walking along than swimming as there can be rip tides. I don't actually know the names of the other beaches we were on, i'll try and post a google map of one of them.

Any particular beaches you'd recommend in Donegal?
It's a massive county so it really depends what part you're staying in. If you're in the North West, there are beautiful beaches all along the coast. Carrickfin Beach (just beyond the airport) is one I really like but there are plenty more, it really depends on how busy they are. Further north, there are a few in Gaoth Dobhair (two known locally as Magheraclogher beach but you can just ask for the beach with Bad Eddie! or else Port Arthur beach which is on Google Maps as Carrickboyle beach)
Further around on the Rosguill peninsula there is a lovely quiet beach at the head of the peninsula called Tranarossan beach
Avoid Downings beach as it is overcrowded and overrated imho.
Like I said though, the best thing really is just keep driving until you come to one that you like - you'll never have to drive too far.

Back