Irish staycation 2020/2021 Pros and Cons, will you be tempted?

Its not a case of them getting no revenue, the staff have been continued to get paid on the PUP payments and the businesses have been getting subsidies for being closed which I personally know of some business owners that have kept them a float.
We booked a two bed air b&b for 8 nights in July in a west county for good vlaue €850. we also got two weekend caslte breaks in July and august for avg €360 B&B (just the adults on those breaks). I think it is very good. we have stayed in both venues before and we know the food and service are great.
we are also considering a family hotel break for 2-3 nights but nothing booked yet. You have to be prepared to look around a bit.

I hope people don't get too stung holidaying at home this year and rather discover the delights this country has to offer. If/when foreign holidays are feasible again, I have no doubt most will take the chance. However a good experience this summer might at least tempt more people to take shorter breaks at home. Maybe have the 2 weeks in the sun, but maybe another weekend or two at home during the year...

Its not a quick buck for many. They will have been closed for over a year and likely to have a short season, but the basic running costs will be the same as if its a full year...

Sorry, but that's not factually correct. Running costs will not be the same as a full ("normal") year.

Most of the main expenses will be down, be it employment costs, electricity, cleaning etc.

Let's not forget, there have been no weddings, so no use of big function rooms, occupancy has been sub 20% in most hotels, so rooms haven't been kept warm, needed light, daily linen changes etc. Very limited restaurant and bar service, so reduced staff, and operating costs....

As niceoneted correctly points out, a lot of staff will have been on State support schemes, or sadly in other cases, made redundant.

Tax burdens will be lower, with many hotels also likely to have availed of the opportunity to "warehouse" payments that might otherwise have been due for payment.

Quite a lot of the Irish hotels are still family owned, and while they may have debt, Banks have been providing payment breaks, interest only periods, and long term restructures.

Last edited:
Now that sounds interesting, please tell us more ;)
Wild camping is just that you pitch your tent (or camper van) anywhere other than a designated camp site.
I like a camp site as you have a bit of a base and some creature comforts like showers and maybe a bit of a restaurant or bar.

The Missus has a €500 voucher for a holiday in Ireland.She emailed them about a week anywhere in July self catering.
2 and a half grand for a small cottage in Offaly.
Either I'm massively out of touch with Irish prices,or that's price gouging.

I’d say they were winding her up.

I’d a quick search on AirBnB.

Typical nightly rates of €50 for a room or €100 for a small house in Offaly in mid-July.

The hoteliers have obviously forgotten 2007 recession when they couldn't give away rooms, and they will be remembered when this propped up economy flattens out .It is a chance missed and hotel rooms will return to empty .Also 4 euro coffee shall be a thing of the past and horse boxes will be again for horses.

If anyone is interested in "Wild camping" and camper vans, they are talking about it on Joe Duffy at the moment.

If you have time and patients there is always deals to be got. We have four breaks booked ( my wife has) between now and September. Some have been forwarded on since last year , free cancellation of course and we were on two in the last few weeks . She would not book anything unless it was a good deal . Some have been cancelled and re- booked if a better price was to be got.

Other than the price and the weather what's not to like about an Irish holiday?

As long as you don't want sunshine, warmth, value and discovering new places, experiencing different cuisines, soaking up history and culture, the staycation thing is great!

Back