Irish staycation 2020/2021 Pros and Cons, will you be tempted?

Mapara

Hi with this Covid 19 putting a trip overseas almost impossible this summer I've been looking around at some hotel breaks and it seems that a lot of the hotels have increased there prices for overnight stays and with all the new guidelines I'm finding it hard to see the attraction,I think I might hold out for an Autumn break overseas,What are you guys planing.

I've booked a 2 night stay in Co Wexford for late September, I availed of a pigsback.com deal, which made it good value.
I'll worry about the guidelines nearer the time!

Have a look at mydealpage.com for details of all short break deals from the various deal sites.

Will be a staycation for me, but renting a holiday home near Carlingford with a view of the sea. Don't fancy hotels with all the current hassle and regs.

I remember reading a few years ago when the word first entered the lexicon that in the US (whence it came) it refered to spending your vacation at home but doing day trips to nearby tourist attractions and eating out more. In that context it would be used only if you were sleeping at home most nights with perhaps one or two overnights elsewhere.

I remember reading a few years ago when the word first entered the lexicon that in the US (whence it came) it refered to spending your vacation at home but doing day trips to nearby tourist attractions and eating out more. In that context it would be used only if you were sleeping at home most nights with perhaps one or two overnights elsewhere.

It has become to have more than one meaning.

It's an absurd term as if holidaying abroad is the rule and at home the exception.

It's far from a "staycation" many Irish people were reared. Talk about losing the run of themselves .

While I partly agree with you. Every generation is far more widely traveled than the last. Travel is more accessible if you can afford it. But in the last decade we have seen increasing numbers of people less well off than the previous generation. The disparity in wealth had a general trend of narrowing but is now widening.

That will have had an impact on people's ability to travel and take holidays.

Yes, that’s my understanding of “staycation”.

We don’t use the word “vacation” here much and tend to use it as a synonym to “holiday”.
In the USA there is a subtle difference between the two.
When I worked there I remember asking a colleague, “what are you doing for your holiday?”. He looked at me bemused, and a few moments later said, “oh? Ah, I understand you now, you mean my vacation!”.
A holiday is a bank holiday weekend.
A vacation is your annual two week break from work.

As for staycation, this is a “stay at home vacation”, or to use Irish terminology, “stay in your own house (PPR) holiday”.
Given that about 80% of Americans don’t have passports, “stay at home” means “stay at your house (ie where you live).

(Of course, “Stay At Home” has different connotations in 2020).

Do you have children in school?
There have been suggestions of the schools returning in early August for a few weeks of catch-up prior to the return to (new) normal new school year.

Do you have children in school?
There have been suggestions of the schools returning in early August for a few weeks of catch-up prior to the return to (new) normal new school year.

I am a teacher and I've heard nothing about this. Where did you hear that?

Back