Irish Rugby Team working hard on their tans

Are you sure it's only their tans they've been working on. Bear in mind they've spent a certain amount of time in Bordeaux. Maybe they've been on wine appreciation courses.

I don't blame the players for the defeat against the French. Eddie O'Sullivan is to balme (OH and the French a bit).

O'Sullivan has had a terrible World Cup. His selections throughout have been poor to say the least. And he lost the dressing room.

Firstly, against the minnows he should have played Murphy who would have relished the opportunity to show his flare, particularly as he missed the previous World Cup through injury. He could have used that platform and been one of the Stars of this World Cup. Instead he was completely shafted.

Secondly, why didn't Fannery start all three games? We need his spirit from the start.

Thirdly,why wasn't the bench used in all 3 Games until it was too late? When things go wrong, change them: i.e. The Lineout against the French. Bring on O'Kelly at Half Time (not with 8 Minutes to go)...
Also, we should have seen how good Reddan was much earlier in the tournament (i.e. bring him on as a sub)

Fourthly, why drop Hickey for Trimble. Hickey was not to blame for the previous debacles. He excels when Ireland are on the Front Foot, so it was no wonder he hadn't played his best when we were defending all of the time.

Finally, I think O'Sullivan got the Team too pumped up. Before their game with the French, the Argies had a big Sing Song on the Bus and went into the game with nothing to lose. They fooled the French,who they knew were a bag of nerves. The Argies just said to themsleves, "we fancy this one but lets just show them only after the whistle blows".

Tonight the French were a bag of nerves again early on. We were not so clever though. Our lads were bursting with emotional adrenaline by the Kickoff. I bet we will see it clearly on the "Fly on The Wall Documentary" that they eventually sell to some TV station. There will be all kinds of Foul Language, Death Threats and Banging Heads in the Irish Dressing Room before the Game. No channelling of the energy where it was really needed.

O'Sullivan reminds me of one or two Soccer Managers of old, that started well but eventually lost the plot. He has achieved a lot as Manager and I give him his dues but this time round he has to shoulder the blame.

I thought it was Ironic that the Former English Coach Andy Robinson was working for Setanta on the French Match. O'Sullivan ended up showing similar levels of courage and ideas to him.

BTW, I am quite sure Donnacha O'Callaghan had lost some of his tan.....

Whilst agreeing that Ireland did not play at their best, am I the only person to have seen the referee pushed into Trimble's path when he was going for the line?

Whilst agreeing that Ireland did not play at their best, am I the only person to have seen the referee pushed into Trimble's path when he was going for the line?

No.
Can't honestly say it changed the course of the game though.

No you were not the only one to see that move and there was a chance for Trimble to reach the line. ROG also got a stamp on his foot prior to that which the referee did'nt see ???

Much as I hate to be negative......if the ref hadn't been in the way, wouldn't your man have tackled Trimble himself?

Much as I hate to be negative......if the ref hadn't been in the way, wouldn't your man have tackled Trimble himself?

Trimble was possibly the worst player on the field last Friday. He spent most of the match out of position and cost us at least one seven points. He should not play against Argentina.
I do not rate our chances in the next match, our pack is the main problem ; no rolling malls, turned over in scrums, loosing their own line out and slow ball from rucks. Against that the Argies have one of the strongest packs in the world.
Then there's the kicking game; Even if O'Gara was at his best Contepomi is a far better player and O'Gara is nowhere near his best.
Horgan is still not match fit and it doesn't matter how well D'Arcy and O'Driscoll play if they don't get the ball, and the pack can't get it for them.

The only high point is that Stringer has been dropped. Reddin is a much better option than Stringer the one trick pony.

Trimble was possibly the worst player on the field last Friday.
True but ROG would have given him a run for his money. Trimble's performance highlights even further EOS's shocking (and clearly clouded) decision not to start Murphy. If he is not on the team against Argentina then EOS should go.

Irish Team V Arg announced
Ireland: Murphy; Horgan, O'Driscoll, D'Arcy, Hickie; O'Gara, Reddan; Horan, A N Other, Hayes, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Easterby, D. Wallace, Leamy.
Replacements: A N Other, S Best, O'Kelly, N Best, Boss, P Wallace, A Trimble

Better?

So despite lineouts being one of our weakest areas the last day no changes are made there? What does big Mal have to do to get a run out - both O'Connell and O'Callaghan have been crap all tournament. And David Wallace continues despite the fact he quite obviously isn't fit - so from the 30 that travelled 10 or so didn't even get a look in - what must they be thinking now! EOS = Staunton, discuss!!

O'Kelly for O'Callaghan in the circumstances - O'Callaghan would be better to bring on - more impact than O'Kelly as a sub.

Quinlan for the bench if EOS is serious about agressive attacking game.

Looks a bit more encouraging - hope to God the team bring their game with them for once !!

I don't think I can bear to watch. I'm going to relax and listen to a bit of music instead.
[broken link removed]

It's also been rumoured Eddie's been heard practicing some of his old Elvis favourites:

I JUST CAN'T HELP BELIEVIN'

and

IT'S NOW OR NEVER

and his old favourite

(MURPHY) YOU'RE THE DEVIL IN DISGUISE

I am no fan of Trimble but from all accounts, Trimble was told to play out of a normal wing position in order to protect the No.10 channel which the French did target. The French spotted he this tactic and exploited it.

Our lineout was poor but I think the French should be given credit for that too. They somehow seemed to know our moves and put their men up at the right times and places to disrupt/rob. I give Laporte credit for scrutinising our traditional strong points.

Scrum was ok until until Wallace was sinbinned - after that we naturally suffered. When Chabal went off, theuir scrum actually improved. He is not a second row in my opinion.

O'Gara v Contepomi ? As a neutral Connacht man, I would side with the Munster outhalf every time. I think Contepomi is a fine player but he can be flaky.

The reason Darcy and O'Driscoll are not getting breaks is that opposition are playing a rush-defence so that every time the centres get a ball, they are also getting the man. Man and ball with no room to manouvre. The French lived offside on this rush-defence and only got penalised once. The ref was poor but most refs are lenient on offsides because they have enough to be doing controlling scrums and lineouts. Is Argies play a rush defence (and they will), we are in trouble.
O'Gara will be force to boot it up or long - did anyone notice that the FFR flanker tried to 'do' O'Gara on his first kick. Got him right on the knee. Easterby did the same on their line and we get penalised. A lot of home down decisions.

Reddan is a good choice. I thought he played very well against France.

4 tries ? Maybe but we'll need all the luck in the world.

O'Kelly is not international class in my opion anymore. And Quinlan is no superman either.

Hope they do it. I spent many dark days in Lansdowne in late 1980s and early 1990s and we were brutal. I am sad to see this team getting so much bad press- I will never lose faith. I still think they are the best we have.

I am no fan of Trimble but from all accounts, Trimble was told to play out of a normal wing position in order to protect the No.10 channel which the French did target. The French spotted he this tactic and exploited it.
Fair enough, I hadn’t heard that.

Still no excuse for not contesting their line-outs or throwing past the back of the line. Do the simple things well.

Scrum was ok until Wallace was sinbinned - after that we naturally suffered. When Chabal went off, theuir scrum actually improved. He is not a second row in my opinion.
Chabal didn’t engage in the scrum so that he could attack off the back of it. He didn’t engage because he didn’t have to.

O'Gara v Contepomi ? As a neutral Connacht man, I would side with the Munster outhalf every time. I think Contepomi is a fine player but he can be flaky.
Who’s more flaky than O’Gara at the moment (but I do agree that Contepomi can be shaken, as any Munster fan will remember)

Any team could play the rush defence as long as Stringer was there, I hope this changes as Reddins confidence builds. We still have major problems with the pack, they are just not up to the job.

I didn’t think the ref did a bad job. What gets me is that it wasn’t nearly as good a French side than the one we nearly beat in Croke Park.

Hope they do it. I spent many dark days in Lansdowne in late 1980s and early 1990s and we were brutal. I am sad to see this team getting so much bad press- I will never lose faith. I still think they are the best we have.
Ditto and I agree that it’s a huge ask.