Irish Rail €10 Intercity fare

goosebump

Irish Rail constantly advertise a €10 Inter City each way fare on the home page of their website.

http://www.irishrail.ie/home/

However, I've never actually been able to obtain a €10 fare between Galway and Dublin, no matter what dates and times I enter into the reservations form.

Nor is there any information on the website (that I can see) re. how to obtain this fare and what terms and conditions apply.

Has anyone ever been able to obtain this fare from Irish Rail? They prominence they give the advert would suggest that its only a click away, when in fact it appears to be as elusive a modern day holy grail.

I suppose I shouldn't expect too much, however. This is Irish Rail, the only rail company in western Europe that continues to insist on having a conductor manually check your ticket before you are allowed on a train.

If you get up the timetable of the days you want to travel. click on the Icon for the fare(a green €) you will be able to see the fare.
It may be only available mid-week at off-peak times especially as there would'nt be as many trains going on that route as maybe the Dublin Cork. Though off-peak is only available on that route too.
But I have gotten them, they do exist.

You haven't tried very hard so, my first attempt I got one next tuesday leaving dublin at 11.30am and returning on thursday at 9.05am €20 return.

they are off-peak specials, so don't bother looking for friday or sunday evenings.

Last edited: