Irish Place Names

Delber

Hi all AAMers

I have a rather strange question and this may not be the right place to post it or it may never get a reply but however here goes.:confused:

I am trying to find the name of a local bog in East Galway, it would be very specific as we know the overall name of the bog but this would relate to a specific part of it. I have googled the request but to no avail.
Failing this has anyone ever come across the irish word Rebha (pronounced reeva) spelling could be all wrong so apologies.

Thanks in advance:)

Have you asked Galway County Council.
Have you looked at detailed Ordnance Survey maps.
Maybe the local studies section of Galway County LIbrary or the Irish department in UCG.
Or Bord na GAeilge.....
or try
[broken link removed]

Good luck!

could it be Riabhach like in "An Caisleán Riabhach" Castlerea and riabhach could mean striped, streaked dismal or gloomy

Know of a small development in Mountbellew called Trean Reveagh......(named after the townland on which it is built) maybe this helps?

without checking dictionaries I think "reeva" may be a corruption of "riabhach" which afaik means "marsh".

The Ordnance survey has Memoirs of the various county surveys which would record place names as transcribed by the surveyers from local enquiry.

Back