irish passport--- cant afford non EU Fee

gaggi

hi ,
Could some one PLEASE tell me, how long will it take to get irish passport. we have been living for the past 9 years, but instead of applying in 2007, we applied in mid 2008. both are on professional jobs

I want to do masters, but cant afford a non EU fee. Could anyone please advise what can i do to get the speed up the process. Some one suggested to talk to my local TD, but wasnt sure, if that route would work?

I would really appreciate if some one can please guide me, as my last date of applying would be soon enough.

Many Thanks
Gaggi

It takes between 1 and 3 years to get Irish citizenship after you've applied. Here is a [broken link removed] to some more information. So the earliest will be mid-2009 if you applied mid-2008.... I wouldn't rely on the 1-year timeframe though. You could contact the immigration/citizenship people and ask what stage your application is at if you are trying to see if you can apply to do a masters in Sept/Oct 2009.

I've no idea how to speed up the process - can't imagine there's an official way to do so. Speaking to your TD would be the best bet.

From what I know, you only have to be in Ireland for 5 years (not 7) to apply for citizenship under normal circumstances.

To be eligible for EU fees for a M.Sc., I doubt you'll need an Irish/EU passport. Check with the college where you're thinking of applying.
You say you've been in Ireland for the last 9 years and are in a professional job. Is this full-time work and how long have you been working? If for at least 3 years, you may already meet the College fee requirements. See TCD's requirements below.

I applied for citizenship in May 2006 and am still awaiting an update on my decision.

I believe they got to reviewing my application in November 2008 because they asked for updated bank statements/P60 but havent heard anything since

I usually keep reviewing this web link

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Contact Details for Citizenship Section

Once upon a time they used to state which month they wish reviewing but since late last year, the new blurb is there

I was thinking of writing a letter to ask for an update but unsure as to whether this will help/hinder the process

As they state average wait is 23 months so you have quite a time ahead of you if my experience is anything as a guide...

As damson says, I think all you require is "indefinite leave to remain". I found this out by accident after paying non-EU fees for my partner at a college in the UK. As a result, I got a refund of the difference.