irish passport--- cant afford non EU Fee

gaggi

hi ,
Could some one PLEASE tell me, how long will it take to get irish passport. we have been living for the past 9 years, but instead of applying in 2007, we applied in mid 2008. both are on professional jobs

I want to do masters, but cant afford a non EU fee. Could anyone please advise what can i do to get the speed up the process. Some one suggested to talk to my local TD, but wasnt sure, if that route would work?

I would really appreciate if some one can please guide me, as my last date of applying would be soon enough.

Many Thanks
Gaggi

It takes between 1 and 3 years to get Irish citizenship after you've applied. Here is a [broken link removed] to some more information. So the earliest will be mid-2009 if you applied mid-2008.... I wouldn't rely on the 1-year timeframe though. You could contact the immigration/citizenship people and ask what stage your application is at if you are trying to see if you can apply to do a masters in Sept/Oct 2009.

I've no idea how to speed up the process - can't imagine there's an official way to do so. Speaking to your TD would be the best bet.

From what I know, you only have to be in Ireland for 5 years (not 7) to apply for citizenship under normal circumstances.

To be eligible for EU fees for a M.Sc., I doubt you'll need an Irish/EU passport. Check with the college where you're thinking of applying.
You say you've been in Ireland for the last 9 years and are in a professional job. Is this full-time work and how long have you been working? If for at least 3 years, you may already meet the College fee requirements. See TCD's requirements below.
[broken link removed]

EU Applications (applicable for admission into the academic year 2009/2010):

European Union fees are based on residency and a European Union passport or citizenship does not grant automatic entitlement to EU fees. As approved by Board on 3 December 2003, applications for admission are classified as EU applications or non-EU applications. An EU application is one made by a person who fulfils one or more of the following criteria:
  1. who is ordinarily resident in the EU and who has received full-time further or higher education in the EU for three of the five years immediately preceding admission; or
  2. who is ordinarily resident in the EU and has worked full-time in the EU for three of the five years immediately preceding admission; or
  3. who holds a passport from an EU state and has received full-time further or higher education in the EU for three of the five years immediately preceding admission; or
Applications from children of:
  1. EU Government officials living abroad,
  2. semi-state officials who are on assignment in countries outside the EU,
  3. volunteer development workers, and
  4. certain EU officials as approved by the Department of Foreign Affairs
All other applications are considered to be non-EU applications

Non-EU Applications:

Students who have had periods of residence outside the EU are required to provide documentary evidence for their claim for EU fee status. This evidence must be presented with their application.
Non-EU applicants will almost certainly need to obtain a valid visa to undertake study here. Please refer to the Additional Information for International Students where you will find information regarding visas.

Please Note:

• A student’s registered status (EU/non-EU) cannot be changed during a programme for which s/he has registered.
  • Full-time education in the EU does not by itself constitute ordinary residence.

I applied for citizenship in May 2006 and am still awaiting an update on my decision.

I believe they got to reviewing my application in November 2008 because they asked for updated bank statements/P60 but havent heard anything since

I usually keep reviewing this web link

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Contact Details for Citizenship Section

Once upon a time they used to state which month they wish reviewing but since late last year, the new blurb is there

I was thinking of writing a letter to ask for an update but unsure as to whether this will help/hinder the process

As they state average wait is 23 months so you have quite a time ahead of you if my experience is anything as a guide...

As damson says, I think all you require is "indefinite leave to remain". I found this out by accident after paying non-EU fees for my partner at a college in the UK. As a result, I got a refund of the difference.

Back