Irish Nationwide: Loaned €7million to councillor with income of €70K

canicemcavoy

[broken link removed]

Was the Irish Nationwide extraordinary in this? I imagine that Anglo Irish Bank did many such loans as well. Did the banks perform any meantesting of people, or was the fact he was a councillor enough of a guarantee?

(For more details on his land deal gone wrong, see [broken link removed]. Is there a Gaelic equivalent of schadenfreude?)

It's like a 'How many mistakes can you spot' scenario.

1) Bank lending €7m to someone with €70k p.a. income
2) A community needs to gather the signatures of 2/3rds of its residents to oppose a scheme multiplying the houses in the community tenfold
3) Paying €7m for a 17 acre field in monaghan
4) A senator making a play on a windfall gain from a potential rezoning decision
5) The CEO of an organisation fast tracking loans for a prominent politician
6) €70k p.a. salary plus €50k p.a. in expenses to a senator!!!

Feel free to add to this list!

The farmer did well in selling the field of €7m. To be honest I dont see how 17 acre in Monaghan could be worth €7m at the height of the boom and who they were going to sell the houses to! Oh well, at least it did not turn into another ghost estate we will have to pay to knock down.

What happens if Mr O'Brien cannot pay the €7m? Or if turns out there was no proper due diligence/security on the loans?

Amazingly he has four of five properties as well which I presume make up some of the 7M loans.