Irish mobile to Irish mobile in UK.

Cligereen

Hi folks,

Tried searching but couldn't find an answer to this:

When my family and myself go to UK we all bring our mobiles (all Irish). When we get to UK our phones all automatically swap to a UK network. My question is, if we phone each other in the UK when the phones have all switched to the UK networks, are the calls counted as roaming calls or are they charged at the flat rate?

Clig.

You will still be roaming....you will pay to make to call at a roaming rate and the receiver of the call will also be charged.

Most, if not all of the Irish Mobile Operators now offer free roaming in the UK if you are on billpay. That said, as I mentioned in a previous post, you have to call your operator and ask for the free roaming in the UK. Also you must select the same network in the UK as you use in Ireland - ie if you are O2 in Ireland, select O2 UK in the UK. To receive calls is then free and if you make calls it is taken from your minutes.

Thanks for the replies folks, just as I feared. Trouble is, there is one Vodafone, one O2 and 2 meteor phones all on pre-pay. We'll text instead I think.

Clig.

Just checked the O2 site and even for bill accounts they say that you mujst pay for roaming in the UK! If I would you I'd give your SP a call - they might have some option for prepay customers.

O2 offer free roaming in the UK for 'business accounts' as far as I know.

If you go to the UK often why don't you get UK sim cards and if you phone a lot the initial cost will soon be recovered

Back