Irish Contriutory Pension Vs UK National Insurance Class 3

Ronocco

Greetings all

I expect to claim kfor the Irish Contributory pension when I get to retirement in the 18 years time.

I started working in the UK recently as self employed and had worked there before.

I rang the social welfare people in Sligo and Buncrana with the following question but could only get onto a dead end talking menu>

This is my question.

Do the Uk Class 2 and 3 national insurance contribution count towards the Irish contributory pension scheme?

Note that the class 2 & 3 contributions only contribute to the UK state pension. (Emigrants not eligible for state pension in Ireland-hence it is important to establish if class 2 & 3 will contribute to the Irish Contributory pension)

It seems a fairly basic question but I cannot get a clear answer from Citizens information or even get on to a real person in Sligo DSS.

Many thanks if anybody can help.

Ronocco

Hi,
I'd assume your entitlement to state old age pension would depend on the number of contributions made in both countries. Sligo office should be able to answer same.

Perhaps you are looking in the wrong place. It appears to me that your question is for the Department of Works & Pensions, Newcastle. You may get a clearer reply there

This is my question.

Do the Uk Class 2 and 3 national insurance contribution count towards the Irish contributory pension scheme?

Ronocco

Hi I am in similar position to yourself currently working temporarily in the UK having worked here previously, self employed and paying similar National Insurance contributions as yourself. I am an irish citizen. The answer to your question is no. What will happen when you retire is that you will get a part pension depending on your contributions to date with both countries.

You can get all the information you require about the UK state pension from the UK government website but please bear in mind there are far reaching changes coming into effect within the next couple of years that you need to familiarise yourself with. You also currently have the opportunity to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions for the past four years to cover gaps in your record.

You can get a statement of your Irish PRSI contribution from the following address and more information regarding the Irish contributory pension is available from the Irish citizen information website.
PRSI Records

Department of Social Protection
McCarter's Road
Ardaravan
Buncrana
Donegal
Ireland

Tel:(01) 471 5898
Locall:1890 690 690

Back