Irish Broadband Ripwave in Cork

N

Niallt

I have been using Irish Broadband's Ripwave for the past month and a half. I live on the Northside of Cork city. The service is patchy at best. One day I can get online at a fast speed and the next Dialup would be faster.

I contacted them by email to set me up an email account with them so I could use Outlook. From start to finish this took 20 days.

In all I would hesitate to recommend them to anyone. Any other opinions out there?

Yes well i was about to get IB, but we were out of range. I'm glad, i think dsl is the best, you know, through a phone line.
And i dont think ireland has the weather for Wireless.
I've heard alot of bad talk and bad customer service reports from them but i dont know if it's true myself.

I have used Irish Broadband at three different sites - two business installations using Breeze and one domestic one using Ripwave. Overall I would not recommend them due to intermittent outages on all three, the fact that RipWave is extremely hit and miss and the fact that support was generall poor any time I tried to contact them. The good point with Ripwave is that for €19 you can at least try it for up to a month and if it doesn't work for you then you can return it as there is no fixed term contract or signing up/off fees. However even if it works then the maximum nominal speed of 512Kbps is arguably not really broadband at all this day and age.

It was the only broadband I could get due to the fact that Broadband via the phone line is not possible in my area. I am currently experiencing a service outage with IB and am writing this via dialup access. They take a long time to respond to emails and generally, their customer service is terrible and I would not recommend them to anyone!

Not sure what area of the north city your in, but if Chorus Cable is available in the area then BB via Chorus is probably also available. Obviously, not the greatest setup if your not interested/already receiving cable via Chorus, but another option which may be available to you.

One of the pro's of the setup is the download/upload caps. I was told by one of the sales teams that while caps are listed on the advertising, they have no way of currently tracking it. He assured me that no additional costs/loss of service would ever occur from high usage.

I ended up going with it due to various reasons and just had to test his comments. Sure enough, never had a problem (with some serious usage from two laptops - cost a fortune on DVDs burning everything to disk to free up hard drive space every couple of days). The speeds were good, not great. Service was very good, think I only ever lost the connection once (that I was aware of) and that was while I also lost cable for two hours (and all other users, so not related to the BB usage, I hope!) so definatly the exception rather than the rule.

I have seen poor feedback on Chorus BB from others, as with most services, but my own experience was pretty good.

I have been using Irish Broadband's Ripwave for the past month and a half. The service is patchy at best. One day I can get online at a fast speed and the next Dialup would be faster.

Yep, sounds like Irish Broadband (AKA Last Chance Broadband) to me. I had had actually thought they had improved in the last year as the level of complaints on board.ie had dropped. I run a mile every time someone asks me "I have this Irish Broadband thing and I can't....". I remember taking over 2 hours to do download 60MB of printer drivers from HP using their 2meg product. I heard yesterday that NTR are planning to off load it.

Anyway try putting the receiver at the windows, outside the window (I have seen them in plastic lunchboxes outside windows), different rooms and in the attic etc.

Towger

I have heard of lots of people around the country having problems with Irish Broadband.

I think the only way to solve the problem is to move to a different provider.

corkbroadband.com