Irish Broadband just called, they want their modem back!

Jareck

Hi there,

I had Irish Broadband Ripwave from Feb '05 until November '05. Like a load of people here it was grand to start with, but then got progressively worse until it was no better than dial up.

So I cancelled my account and that was the end of it.

Until today!

I got a call from their accounts department saying they wanted their modem back, over 6 months after I cancelled my account. I said this to them and they said that a courier had attempted to collect the modem before! - news to me as today was the first time I'd ever been called by IBB!

Since November I have moved so I suggested they try get onto the new occupiers of my old address and see if it's still there.

So my question is twofold:

1. I paid €99 for connection - does anyone know if this fee includes ownership of the modem or does that always stay with IBB and,

2. Am I liable to pay them for replacement of the modem, even though it's more than six months after I cancelled my account, and they haven't contacted me before this to get their modem back?

Any opinions, facts would be hugely appreciated!

I reckon that even if you had held onto the modem you would have been well within your rights to dispose of it before now...6 months is way too long to be expected to hold on to something... I've had the same experience with NTL ..they called 5 months after i disconnected to collect their set top box..luckily i still had it but if i hadn't would have had no problem in telling them tough luck

I believe the current rates for storing unused modems are €20 per month......by my reckoning they owe you €30. Tell them to send it around by courier.

I'll be sure and tell the guy they owe me next time he rings!

They have some cheek though, put up with absolutely awful broadband for at least 2 months, and spent I don't know how much on calls and then they come looking for me to re-imburse them for their modem!

Think a trip with a baseball bat up to sandyford ind estate is in order!

Charge storage, a days holiday wastedwaiting for the no show courier and the phone calls you made

+ Interest at 3% per annum