Irish and British Governments--Amazing Similarities

Lex Foutish

Has anyone else been struck by the amazing similarities between the current Irish and British Governments?

Both governments have been in power for quite a while and look doomed at the next election.

Both heads of government were leaders in waiting, became prime ministers in mid-term and have, by and large, failed dismally to deliver on their promise.

Both Speakers have been removed in an expenses scandal.

There are glaring differences too, but what other similarities can we expect to surface in the future?

For example, is it only a matter of time before an Irish newspaper publishes a full list of expenses claimed by our T.D.'s......................? And what will happen then......?

Yep - soem british politicians - once caught out do have a sense of humility. Here they just have a thick neck & remain defiant.

Yep - soem british politicians - once caught out do have a sense of humility. Here they just have a thick neck & remain defiant.

Far away hills and all that...Let's not kid ourselves.
To date, the expenses scandal here relates to excessive spending on travel and a bit of office furniture. I am sure there is more to come but it is not on the scale of the UK scandal as of yet.
The expenses scandal in the UK involved MP's fraudulently claiming for duck houses (not a joke), second homes and many other items including tax evasion. It was a defraud of the system on a quite massive scale.

And please tell me how many actually resigned as MPs?
Jacqui Smith stepped down from Home Secretary (but waited until after the Euro elections). She is still a sitting MP and is contesting the next election!
Geoff Hoon stepped down as Transport Sec. but is one of the front runners for EU Commissioner.
The list goes on.

The speaker of the House only stepped down after intense pressure. Martin apologised to the House in May but did not step down until late June. Sound familar? And then there is the referral to the Met police!!!

About 10 or 12 MPs (from both main parties) have stated they will not rerun for election. By my reckoning, only Ian Gibson resigned as an MP.