Ireland's best branded food product?

Caveat

I'm thinking Guinness would feature highly and Tayto too but I just don't like them.

For me there is only one; Ballymaloe Country Relish.

This stuff is almost perfect and we are never without it. It's amazing - not too cheap mind you but well worth it. Advise anyone who hasn't tasted it to do so immediately.

Harrods stock it in their luxury condiments (or something similarly named) section by the way - not that Harrods are the gospel in anything but it gives you an idea of the reputation.

(No connection to Ballymaloe BTW)

Drinks: Bailey's, Jameson, Bulmers/Magners,Barry's tea
Food: Brennan's bread, Jacob's biscuits

Drinks: Bailey's, Jameson, Bulmers/Magners,Barry's tea
Food: Brennan's bread, Jacob's biscuits

Aren't Jacobs biscuits made in Germany or somewhere since their Tallaght factory closed?
Brennans is ok but plenty of local bakers do much better bread, Crottys in Carlow for example

Personally, and based on my time when I lived in London and remembering what I missed the most
Barrys tea
Taytos
Cidona/Club Orange
Jameson
Murphy's

That covered all the main food groups when I was in my 20s

Oh yeah +1 to Kerrygold & Glenisk.

As for Guinness - nothing against it but an acquired taste it is said - maybe I haven't acquired it yet

Tayto I just think are poor quality - green bits, black bits occasionally over or underflavoured etc.

No Ballymaloe fans yet then?

Barrys tea and Murphy's... you're not a Dub so.

I love Ballymaloe relish.
I'm a Guinness fan but Guinness is an English drink (a good example of early foreign direct investment though).

I'm a Guinness fan but Guinness is an English drink (a good example of early foreign direct investment though).

Really? How do you mean - in a straightforward historical way or in a technical way?

I know Guinness (Diageo) isn't Irish now but are you saying it never really was?

Really? How do you mean - in a straightforward historical way or in a technical way?

I know Guinness (Diageo) isn't Irish now but are you saying it never really was?

I am open to correction but wasn't the second Guinness Brewery (the one in Dublin) financed by London financiers, the first being financed by an inheritance from a bishop?
Guinness HQ is in London (they moved the minute we got independence).

I am open to correction but wasn't the second Guinness Brewery (the one in Dublin) financed by London financiers, the first being financed by an inheritance from a bishop?
Guinness HQ is in London (they moved the minute we got independence).

They moved to London due to restrictive trade laws enacted in 1932

... Guinness is an English drink (a good example of early foreign direct investment though).
The Guinness name (McGuinness / McGennis / MacEnnis / Magennis / MacCartan, etc.) and the original brewry are Irish through and through, although the style of beer (porter / stout porter / stout) is English in origin. The only other early English connection is the Ponsonby family who employed Arthur's father as a brew-master in Co. Kildare.

The original capital used to start the Guinness business was left to Arthur by his late employer, a Tipperary clergyman. Like all good entrepreneurs Arthur used his father's expertise, his inheritance and the Ponsonby connections to secure a brewing premises in Co. Kildare initially before moving to St. James's Gate 4 years later in 1759.

That was a while ago, no sign of them moving back.
Thats true, but Guinness is owned by Diagio and is listed on the English Stock Exchange, Diagio is massive as we all know. But, Guinness closed their London breweries and moved all production for Ireland and UK back to James' Gate