Ireland Weekend Break

RobAMerc

Its our first anniversary in a few weeks and I would like to surprise my wife with a night away.

She is extremely busy at the moment so I would like to go somewhere fairly close, 2hrs drive max of Dublin M50

Can anyone recommend somewhere to go for a night - nice hotel with facilities bit of a view or where to look on the web ?

Thanks
Rob

How about Clare my brother goes there an awful lot says its fierce relaxing they go there couple of times a yr

I'd highly recommend Wineport Lodge (www.wineport.ie) in Glasson, Athlone. Relatively close to Dublin - fantastic location, restaurant, rooms (with lake view) and you could book her a massage/facial while there!

2 hours from dublin , so thats in side the M50 ring?

No, I had jsut read and was thinking Wineport, stayed there with my current wife, was lovely, it looks buiser now that 18months ago when we where there.

Also Brooklodge in Wicklow, 1 hour from Shankill roundabout- expensive but worth trying.( get one of the newer rooms, older rooms a bit crampted)

Must admit, organic meat and veg etc, all tastes the same after a few glasses of wine!, but service is excellent.

Ghan House in Carlingford?

Easy access, nice views, (although Carlingford can be a bit rough) and go for a walk on the ridge the following day.

mf

how about Johnstown house in enfield-you could book her in for some treatments in the spa or how about the Raddison in Cavan(Farnham estate) its a bit more expensive then Johnstown. Cavan Crystal hotel is supposed to be good as well

My favourite hotel of anywhere is the Heritage at Killenard, less than an hour from the Red Cow Roundabout. (You can also stop for a bit of shopping at Kildare Village where the Italian restaurant does very nice lunch!) You could both do the Heritage Spa Experience which takes 3 hours and is really relaxing. Food there is very good and there are several places to eat.

I believe the new Knightsbrook Hotel near Trim is lovely but haven't got to stay there yet. It seems to have excellent facilities.

The Marriott at Enfield has a great spa and also all the beauty treatments that your wife might like to sample.