Ireland v Brazil will be at Emirates in March

DerKaiser

Why in the name of God is this not being played in Ireland?

The Irish fans were the big losers of not getting to go to the world cup.

This fixture was supposed to be a gesture of goodwill from FIFA, but by staging this game in London the FAI are not passing that goodwill on to the disappointed fans.

Not much of a goodwill gesture seeing as the Irish Players and fans are going to be surround with imagery of Henry lifting trophies for the gooners. More like rubbing noses in it.

Yeah disgraceful decision by the FAI...

I'm no fan of the FAI, but this decision was out of their hands. Kentaro offered the tie to the FAI, they decide when/where it takes place subject to FIFA approval. They have a history with the Emirates.

I'm no fan of the FAI, but this decision was out of their hands. Kentaro offered the tie to the FAI, they decide when/where it takes place subject to FIFA approval. They have a history with the Emirates.

If that's the case fair enough, but why were the FAI negotiating with croke park?

[broken link removed]

Fair enough but then they should have refused the game. A fixture in London does nothing to promote the game in this Country.

I'd say the powers in the GAA have more to do with this decision that the FAI. It seems to me thet the FAI are putting it up to them to allow the game to be played in Ireland.

That's correct, Brazil played Italy there a while back. It's good news for any Irish fans living in the UK and also for the many Brazilians living in the UK as well.

According to the Irish Times, Brazil have played Argentina, Italy and Portugal at the Emirates since it has been built so it is like a European base for them. With this in mind, I don't see it as being an issue for Ireland to play them there. In fact, it is an honour to be invited.

I wouldn't go that far. Its a money making excercise for Brazil. They couldn't care less if it was Ireland or Finn harps they were playing. I cannot understand the whole concept of international friendlies to be honest.

I wouldn't go that far. Its a money making excercise for Brazil. They couldn't care less if it was Ireland or Finn harps they were playing.I cannot understand the whole concept of international friendlies to be honest.

Sunny, is your real name Roy, by any chance?

3 reasons
1. €
2. €€
3. €€€

Oh, you cynic, Tarfhead!!!

What about the chance to blood new players and being able to put a load of unheard of players out in the second half, thus giving the money paying fans real value for money by allowing them to see so many Boys In Green in action?

I wouldn't go that far. Its a money making excercise for Brazil. They couldn't care less if it was Ireland or Finn harps they were playing. I cannot understand the whole concept of international friendlies to be honest.

Football in general is a money making exercise. I suppose the likes of the Arab sheikhs and Russian Oligarchs have bought back a level of people controlling a club for their love of it, even though it all boils down to one person.

Still, the fact that Man Utd are playing to pay off the Glazers' debt or that Ireland are playing Brazil in a fund raiser does not diminish the passion of the fans.

If that's the case fair enough, but why were the FAI negotiating with croke park?

I presume because the FAI would have used their b-booking lists to ensure a near sell-out and with that earn a lot more from the exercise. After all, as has been said above, it's all about cash.

With the game in the Emirates, they can't force the b-bookers to take tickets.

According to John Delaney (interviewed on Drivetime today), FAI / Irish Team are getting a fixed "appearance" fee for this match, which would have been the case even if it had been played in Croke Pk. They're not getting a % of the gate.

4 venues were invited to tender for the match, FAI suggested Croke Park, the other 3 venues were in England. Kentaro selected the Emirates.

(ticket prices will probably be cheaper than they would be here.....)

No doubt Ryanair & Aer Lingus will bump up prices of flights to London at the time so that will mitigate against the cheaper tickets

It should be played in Parky Keeve. How about bringing the game down to the real capital.