Ireland - Euro 2008

J

Jaid79

What is the Irish public opinion on Ireland's current soccer team? What are its chances of making the final stages of Euro 2008?

Oct 7 2006 Cyprus 5-2 Rep of Ireland

I for one will be happy to the back of Steven, the most boring uninspiring manager I have seen.

Jaid

The jury is out.Lets see what happens in the next 2 games.There were signs in the Denmark game that maybe he is on to something-he certainly has a lot of young talent as his disposal so lets get behind them for these 2 and then look at it

The jury is out.Lets see what happens in the next 2 games.There were signs in the Denmark game that maybe he is on to something-he certainly has a lot of young talent as his disposal so lets get behind them for these 2 and then look at it

The team may have talent, but Steven just dont come across as a leader a motivator or one that inspires confidence.

I really hope Ireland make it the whole way to the final stages.

Jaid

i hated him at first but 5 wins in row says alot in international football, i dont see any reason now to get rid of him, the next 2 matches will certainly make or break him, i dont like the way he treats the media, he should try and get them on his side

Don't really follow soccer or any sport for that matter but it has always bewildered me how so much blame can be laid at the feet of the manager when things go wrong.

Steven Staunton, while a nice guy by most accounts, is basically shy and inarticulate - two traits which don't help at all in his position but is he not just making the best of a bad hand?

Where are the players?

The country followed the tabloid line that was led by a merry dance by one disgruntled RTE employee who's rather lame "autobiography" of a certain Sky League manager as used to whip thinking into a case that there was only one manager for Ireland and he hails from Cork.

The Irish manager is an easy mark and our "reporters" lowered themselves to British tabloid level to destroy him, and sadly a lot followed the tune. They demolished Brian Kerr, did everything to run Mick McCarthy out of town and went after Jack Charlton at the end of his time.

A manager picks a team, sends them out and prays they have the guts and intelligence to do a job - after all, these guys get fortunes each week to do nothing but kick a ball. Surely they'd be near perfect at this stage!

Two of the main reasons he shouldnt be the manager, how can you motivate a team of players if you cant talk to them?

Jaid

Friendlies are irrelevant. Competitive matches count.
Well sorry but I dont agree with that -they give an International Manager a
chance to blood new players-try a different formation maybe-when else would he get a chance to do this?

Well sorry but I dont agree with that -they give an International Manager a
chance to blood new players-try a different formation maybe-when else would he get a chance to do this?

Your right pnh in what you say, but on the international rankings they dont count.

Jaid

Two of the main reasons he shouldnt be the manager, how can you motivate a team of players if you cant talk to them?

Jaid

I was referring more to Staunton with the media - but I guess he's not exactly Alexander the Great in the dressing rooms either.

Anyway, I take the whole motivation thing with a pinch of salt - if the team was any good it shouldn't matter much - and certainly shouldn't make or break a team. Don't plenty of teams do very well with faceless or ineffectual managers?

E.g. Sven Goren Erikson? What was so good about him? England however didn't seem to perform significantly better or worse under him.

That's my impression anyway - but as I said I don't follow soccer and am open to correction.

A manager picks a team, sends them out and prays they have the guts and intelligence to do a job - after all, these guys get fortunes each week to do nothing but kick a ball. Surely they'd be near perfect at this stage!

unfortunately there are two teams and if both were to be managerless we would have a greater shout. the manager should be able to pinpoint weaknesses in the oppostion and exploit them, as for 5 in a row, i don't think San marino are going to give anyone propblems ( except for us up until the 93rd minute).

I still haven't found it within myself to like the man and I really have never seen another person be so personality free.