ipod

Do you mean (Apple) iPods in particular or digital audio/MP3 players in general?

In our house we have a 20gb bought last Christmas and a 30gb bought in the past few weeks. The 30gb is much slimmer and plays videos and stores photos. It is really a lovely little machine. Both were bought in America and were somewhat cheaper than the same models here. Last years model was an apple ipod but also had HP in someway involved in it. We ran into a slight problem because of it as the Apple worldwide warranty doesn't work in the same way with these. The second one was bought in an Apple store in boston. One drawback with the new slimmer model is that there are no protective skins available to protect them. The case on the iPod is quite easily scratched. The sound from both is excellent. Currently in the US there is only a $50 dollar difference in price for the 20 v 30 gb models. Hope this is of some help

Thanks for this brokeparent. Looking for something in the gym so as to avoid the awful gym dance beat!

sorry Apple for no particular reason!
Are they the best?
Will they suit a balding 35 year old on the treadmill?!!

Apple ipod summary

Pros;
Best software, itunes
Coolest design
Simplest to use
Always gets top marks in any MP3 player reviews (have a look at the magazine rack in any newsagents)
Read somewhere that apple have approx 70% of the market so everyone makes stuff to be compatible with ipod

Cons;
Generally most expensive
No fm radio
Need to convert music to .acc files before can play on ipod
No removable battery (battery may need to be changed after approx 500 charges - but if you only charge 2/week, then that is 5yrs and by then there will be something better anyway.

If you want to use in the gym, then you need a player with Flash memory as the hard drive players can get damaged by all the jumping about.

This means the ipod nano - go with the 4gb as you get double the memory (1k songs) for an extra 50euro.

If its mainly for the GYM I wouldnt go for any expensive one. I use a Philips MP3 player I got from pixmania.com, it has 512MB storage, thats enough for about 150 songs or so. It was about 120 euro delivered but you'll get higher storage ones for cheaper now in the shops.

Just make sure to get one that has a rechargable battery (i.e. a lithium battery chargeable via the USB connection with your PC) so you wont have to keep buying batteries for it.

Back