iPod

Jildy

Where in Dublin sells the cheapest iPod at the moment - or are they all the same price??

Jildy.

Probably best getting one online and prices differ depending on the size of storage the price will vary, you may also want to look at an Iriver or some of the other players out there as Ipod aren't the only ones.

I'd definitely recommend going for an iRiver over an iPod. The big bonus for me is that the iRiver also has a radio unlike the iPod.

fandango1 said:
I'd definitely recommend going for an iRiver over an iPod. The big bonus for me is that the iRiver also has a radio unlike the iPod.

Yes, but how often do you actually listen to the FM radio? How do you find reception around town on buses? Cr@p, I'll bet.

If you are only using the radio you would be better off buying an ultracompact FM radio with a long battery life.

I see people on the bus / DART hauling huge Zens (especially with the cover / case) out of their bags, only to change station on the FM radio! Why bother with the hard disk if you are not going to use it?

I have a 20GB Zen and a tiny FM 512MB Muvo; I listen to music on the Zen whilst at home and in the car and I listen to the radio and a bit of music on the MuVo when using public transport, walking, or working around the house. Its very light and small, the reception is excellent (im in Mullingar, no problem gettting RTE, 2FM, Today FM, Lyric FM, FM104, Midlands Radio 3 and Radio na Gaeilge). Oh and the Muvo has goes for 24hrs on a single AAA battery.

MonsieurBond said:
Yes, but how often do you actually listen to the FM radio? How do you find reception around town on buses? Cr@p, I'll bet.

If you are only using the radio you would be better off buying an ultracompact FM radio with a long battery life.

I see people on the bus / DART hauling huge Zens (especially with the cover / case) out of their bags, only to change station on the FM radio! Why bother with the hard disk if you are not going to use it?

I actually make use of all features on my iRiver - tend to listen to my own music when in work but prefer to listen to the radio on the bus going home - helps to keep in touch with what's going on in the world. It's also handy having the radio in case of big news stories breaking during the day - eg the London bombings last week.

As for the reception, I've no complaints about it at all. I work in an office full of computers which normally affect reception but the sound is still crystal clear. Think you should check them out Monsieur Bond.

I also have an iRiver (the now classic IHP120!!!) which also has a radio. Absolutely best of both worlds. Quite often I wouldn't be in the mood to listen to my own music and would switch to the radio. Also handy if you are in the car and there is an interesting piece on the radio, it's possible to continue listening if finished with the car.

Re: FM Radio on MP3 players

tallpaul said:
I also have an iRiver (the now classic IHP120!!!) which also has a radio. Absolutely best of both worlds. Quite often I wouldn't be in the mood to listen to my own music and would switch to the radio. Also handy if you are in the car and there is an interesting piece on the radio, it's possible to continue listening if finished with the car.

TaulPaul, fandango1, CGorman - that's interesting.

I personally wouldn't use the radio that much and will wait for an iPod with FM radio as I am very happy with the sound quality and "user experience" on the iPod. As my library of music is now in the sonically superior (according the What Hi Fi) AAC format, I am I suppose now "chained" to Apple and reluctant to switch to another player which doesn't support AAC.

I just bought a set of [broken link removed] for my iPod - very good base, excellent design, but not cheap.

My next purchase will be an iPod Shuffle - although I may wait for the rumoured 2GB model to come out, which may have an LCD display.

MonsieurBond said:
I just bought a set of [broken link removed] for my iPod - very good base, excellent design, but not cheap.

Hey there MonsieurBond,

Can I ask where you got them and how much they cost? Haven't seen these before and was considering buying a pair of Etymotic ER-4P ([broken link removed]) but they cost big bucks too. I find it impossible to get a comfortable fit with normal in-ear earphones, like the ones that came with the iPod. Are these any better in practice? Are they a secure fit as I'll use them for the gym and running?

DaveD

DaveD said:
Hey there MonsieurBond,

Can I ask where you got them and how much they cost? Haven't seen these before and was considering buying a pair of Etymotic ER-4P ([broken link removed]) but they cost big bucks too. I find it impossible to get a comfortable fit with normal in-ear earphones, like the ones that came with the iPod. Are these any better in practice? Are they a secure fit as I'll use them for the gym and running?

DaveD

DaveD, I bought them in the B&O store on Bachelor's Walk - you can also get them in Donnybrook. They are very good - stylish with great sound - but cost €135. They are very adjustable and in theory will stay in while you jog (according to the sales guy anyway) but I have not tried this myself yet. I don't really frequent the gym so can't comment there. The headphones got 2nd place in a recent What Hi Fi headphone shootout - they were marked down due to the price, compared to a folding Seinheiser design.

MonsieurBond said:
DaveD, I bought them in the B&O store on Bachelor's Walk - you can also get them in Donnybrook. They are very good - stylish with great sound - but cost €135. They are very adjustable and in theory will stay in while you jog (according to the sales guy anyway) but I have not tried this myself yet. I don't really frequent the gym so can't comment there. The headphones got 2nd place in a recent What Hi Fi headphone shootout - they were marked down due to the price, compared to a folding Seinheiser design.

Thanks very much MonsieurBond, I was down at B&O on Bachelor's Walk the other day but they seemed closed for lunch! I'll try again this week, €135 wasn't a bad price, best I could find on eBay was €117. I'd be happy to pay the difference for peace of mind and warranty, I've had too many headphones die due to broken cables.

DaveD

DaveD said:
Thanks very much MonsieurBond, I was down at B&O on Bachelor's Walk the other day but they seemed closed for lunch! I'll try again this week, €135 wasn't a bad price, best I could find on eBay was €117. I'd be happy to pay the difference for peace of mind and warranty, I've had too many headphones die due to broken cables.
DaveD

They don't normally close for lunch - you have to ring the bell. Having said that, they could have nipped out for a coffe. :)

You are right to buy new and get the warranty - I forgot to mention in my post below that they have a 2 year warranty - will replace the headphones with new ones if they fail due to normal wear and tear. Sounds good to me.

Back