iPod / Zen capacity

Markjbloggs

A few questions for all you good people out there -

Problem Statement - I have approx 200 CD's, 150 vinyl albums and failing eyesight, exacerbated by copious amounts of alcohol. Obvious problem is I can't see my music when I've had a few.

1. How much capacity would I need to fit all this on one of those portable thingys?

2. As an alternative to one of those wireless audio systems (eg Sonos), would a fully loaded iPod / Zen with speakers in each room be an alternative?

Now would be a good time for some music if only i could see what I was about to play ...

V. Flytrap

PS- edit : Are the iPod / Zen thingys capable of interfacing with a TV to (a) use the speakers to playback music and (b) to playback mpegs / AVI's downloaded from internet film sites?

Last edited:
200cds = c. 20GB as MP3 audio for that alone you'd need about 1 ipod but with Vinyl Discs, depends on how many minutes they hold so i have no idea of those record disks.
hmm...ipods play video but i dont think through a tv.
You can get ''media centres'' i think they're called, it's basically a HDD but it connects to you're tv to watch movies etc..

You'll probably want a usb turntable as mentioned in this thread.

The amount of time depends on the encoding rate. The default is usually 128kps, which gives 1MB = 1 min. A 30GB player = 30,000 mins or 7,500 songs (they assume 4min songs). If you're using it to replace your library you might want a higer rate, 192kps is considered close enough to CD quality, but then you only get 2/3rds the volume.

Also, there used to be services that would transfer or rip cds & lps in bulk for you, but don't have any links.