iPod warranty query

NiallP

I was given a video iPOD for Christmas, which got drenched in the recent bad weather. Water got into the machine, resulting in it completely breaking down.

The iPOD was bought in Ireland, and is under an Irish 12 month warranty. My only concern is that the warranty appears to specifically exclude "water damage". In these circumstances, will I able to get it repaired/replaced?

My understanding is that I should approach the retailer who sold the ipod, who will then require me to contact Apple directly. If anyone has previous experience of this, I would be delighted to hear from you (particularly in circumstances where their iPOD has been damaged by water)

Many thanks in advance

Apple use a worldwide warranty for the ipod, so no matter where you by it, you can return it from your home country. You can log onto Apples website and log the problem and they will arrange to pick up the ipod by UPS. However, if it is water damage, and the warranty specifically excludes this, my guess is that they will not replace the unit free of charge or else they will charge you for repairs.