iPod - Want fresh, random selection of iTunes library with each update

RainyDay

Hi folks - Is there some neat way of getting my iPod to load a fresh, random selection of my iTunes library each time I connect to my PC?

My iTunes library exceeds the capacity of my iPod, so I can't tell it to update my main playlist each time. It has created a new playlist which is a subset of my main library and updated these tunes to my iPod - this is fine as a once-off, but I really want it to do this every time it connects. On subsequent connections, it seems to just keep the same subset of tunes instead of taking a fresh, random selection of my main library.

There must be a simple way to do this - please educate me.

RainyDay said:
Hi folks - Is there some neat way of getting my iPod to load a fresh, random selection of my iTunes library each time I connect to my PC?

My iTunes library exceeds the capacity of my iPod, so I can't tell it to update my main playlist each time. It has created a new playlist which is a subset of my main library and updated these tunes to my iPod - this is fine as a once-off, but I really want it to do this every time it connects. On subsequent connections, it seems to just keep the same subset of tunes instead of taking a fresh, random selection of my main library.

There must be a simple way to do this - please educate me.

What you need is the Autofill feature. Unfortunately, this is currently only supported in iTunes for the iPod Shuffle, although it is an oft-requested feature that iTunes should support it for other models.

Hi guys - Thanks for your help. I think I can kind-of achieve what I want via a smart playlist which takes a random 1000 songs from my main library. If I set the smart playlist to 'live update', it should be updated every time I add/remove a song from my library. Pity it doesn't have a 'manual update' option.

Just in case anyone else is struggling with this issue, I found a fairly quick way to do a manual update of a smart playlist - When the playlist is open, just select all the songs (Ctrl-A) and hit delete to empty the playlist. iTunes automatically refills it with a fresh random selection of tunes. The next time you connect the iPod, this selection gets downloaded.

Back