iPOD touch without WiFi

huskerdu

Hi all,
My daughter has asked for an iPOD touch. Haven't yet decided if the budget can stretch that far, but I want to investigate first.

Our UPC broadband is wired, not wireless. We have a home network, so didn't bother with the wireless option.

Can anyone confirm how much of the functionality depends on WiFi ?
I assume that you can download from the PC through the USB cable and that most of the features will still be available, apart from the ones that obviously need broadband like gaming.

I thought the touch worked like all the other ipods ie. via usb cable. Am I completely wrong?

You can access the iTunes store on your main computer and can synch any purchases via the cable. This applies to free apps as well...

Wifi is essential for the iPod Touch. It is required to surf the net, watch videos on youtube etc. You can also download applications via wifi and update existing ones. Yes, this can be done through the computer but this device minus wifi is pretty pointless. You need to get yourself a router.

That's interesting. I didnt even realise you could surf the net. Much better than the ipod classic.

+1 that Wifi is a must.....The touch can be thought of as a mini-ipad...I love mine.

Thanks for the comments so far.

The thing is that she is not that old. I have no intention of getting a wireless router to give her internet access in her bedroom. She is not going to be buying and downloading apps, and surfing the net on it, or gaming.

Without these features, how different is it from an iPOD classic ?

If it is simply the wrong device for her, than we will sit down and explain this and look at what else is available that is right for her.

Thanks

Thanks

the classic has huge storage which she probably wouldn't need and the screen is very small which probably wouldn't interest her. The new nano is probably right for her. Decent enough storage for someone who just wants a few songs on it. Nice little nifty screen too and it comes in a variety of colours.

The thing is that she is not that old. I have no intention of getting a wireless router to give her internet access in her bedroom.

My 10yo son bought one with funds saved from his first Holy Communion. We let him have access to the internet and games, but on the understanding that we can access his browsing history and games. So far, so good.

What is the intended use? If it is just for music any music player is good for the job.
The power point of the iPod touch are the apps: there are great educational apps, even for free.
Not having the WiFi, limits the features of surfing internet, access to youtube, the iTunes Store and facetime: as a parent point of view is reassuring as the kid won't do anything on the external world without the supervision of a parent. (Obviously this works if your daughter won't have full access to the computer).

If she's not going to be using apps on it, an Ipod touch is a waste of money. I suspect she will want to play game apps on it however and if you are worried about internet access, these can be downloaded through itunes on your PC and then synced using the USB cable. Many good and fun apps are free.

If its just for music, you could buy a cheaper mp3 player but I suspect its the brand name of the ipod that is the real appeal. Something to show off to the friends with.

It is a lot of money though.

Thanks for the comments so far.

The thing is that she is not that old. I have no intention of getting a wireless router to give her internet access in her bedroom. She is not going to be buying and downloading apps, and surfing the net on it, or gaming.

If it is simply the wrong device for her, than we will sit down and explain this and look at what else is available that is right for her.

Thanks

If she is not going to be allowed to play games then there is no point in getting her an iTouch. The main reason kids would use one would be for games and music. Take out the games and you may as well just get her a nano or a other brand player.
If its apple the main choice is

http://www.apple.com/ie/ipodnano/features.html

or

[broken link removed]

Back