iPod stuff

Markjbloggs

Just been on the Apple Ireland website to try and purchase one of these for my daughter. I am unsure if the Nano ships with earphones and USB cable, does anyone here know? (tried ringing their store, gave up after being left hanging for 20 minutes).

Also, have they rectified the scratching problem that seemed to plague the original Nano's?

And, while I'm at it, is the original iPod not for sale anymore? I presume the video version is the (more expensive) successor.

Needless to say, Apple's website offered no answers to any of these questions. If it was not for the specific request from my daughter for one of these, my business would have gone elsewhere....

My brother purchased an iPod off the american site and his came with earphones, usb cable and a pouch to keep it in. He has gotten a few scratches on his but eBay have a huge selection of iPod covers for sale. Is your daughter a student ?? The apple site have a section for students and there is a discount to be had - provided you can supply proof of actually being a student (think it might just be 3rd level though). My piggy bank is almost full and I hope to purchase mine through that site soon !

Thanks Sandrabing.

I just had a look at Amazon - they list the contents of the package, which include cable and earphones.

M

I checked here as I'm considering a nano also.....If you click on the Apple Irish web store [broken link removed]
& then click on the iPods ......when you select a model, scroll down & it will tell you whats in the box....quite straight forward

...not sure about the scratching...I believe that it is subject to the same scratching on your mobile phone screen if you don't guard against it.

ninsaga

I've just found out — too late, the engraved one is already ordered from Apple! — that Harvey Normans are apparently knocking out 4GB Nanos for €199.99...

Hopefully it doesn't come preloaded with their radio ad jingle!

DrMoriarty said:
I've just found out — too late, the engraved one is already ordered from Apple! — that Harvey Normans are apparently knocking out 4GB Nanos for €199.99...

Hopefully it doesn't come preloaded with their radio ad jingle!
I'd put money on that being incorrect. Apple have a very strict retail supply system and there's no way they are allowing HN to sell 4GB Nanos for €60 less than they are.

Are you sure this wasn't the 2GB? (or more likely someone confusing the older Ipod Mini with the Nano?)

Btw I've had a Black Nano since launch in the States, no problems with either the screen or scratching but then again I do look after it (i.e. I neither sit on it or carry it around in a pocket full of keys/change! )

Eurofan said:
I'd put money on that being incorrect. Apple have a very strict retail supply system and there's no way they are allowing HN to sell 4GB Nanos for €60 less than they are.
No supplier can set the retail price of any product they supply to a retailer. To do so would be a breach of competition law.

RainyDay's right. Apple can implement price uniformity across its own outlets — so that there's (for once) little appreciable price difference between Apple US/Apple Ireland — but they can't stop the likes of HN from undercutting that if they want. Go, Harvey, go, Harvey... — remember?

I should have clarified what I meant. You are both quite correct of course but Apple products are well known to provide retailers with a fairly small margin which directly affects any ability to undercut.

There's no way HN are selling 4GB Nanos at that price and making a profit which leads me to assume either 1./it's a mistake or 2./they're getting out of selling Apple stuff which given their popularity is unlikely.

Ah boards.ie! Long as I've been hanging around there (5+ years) I know not to trust much of what I see on there, askaboutmoney.com is positively academic in comparison!

(and please please tell me you're not moonlighting as 'Peckerhead' over there DrMoriarty it's completely dashed my image of a suited professional sharing his wisdom with the internet )

'Suited professional'?

I hate to disappoint you, Eurofan... — [broken link removed] I am, in my Sunday best!

DrMoriarty said:
'Suited professional'?

I hate to disappoint you, Eurofan... — [broken link removed] I am, in my Sunday best!

Ouch. You should have posted a gover'ment healt' warning (as Charlie would say) on this.

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an iPOD nano 4GB.
I've checked the price on the Apple stores in UK, USA and Ireland.
The prices were : 179sterling, 250dollars, 259euro.

It seems like the cheapest way to go is to buy from the US - 250dollars equals approx 215euro.

Why would someone buy from the Ireland site, when they can get the same product 35euro cheaper from the US site?
Or am I missing something obvious - like expensive importing charges from the states?

Also, Dr Moriarty, I see you bought one from the 'Apple Education Site' for 238 dollars, but the link wouldnt work. Can you let me know this link?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks Dr Moriarty!

Also, do you know if there are any hidden disadvantages with ordering from the States v Ireland (given that the price is better there)?

Cheers.

To order iPod from states you need an american shipping address (and possibly an american based credit card but not sure). A friend of mine bought his from America..........had to get his american friend to order it using his credit card and when it arrived at his house he shipped it onto Ireland.
I could be veerrrry wrong though !

DrMoriarty said:
'Suited professional'?

Ah so it's you who was complaining about broken Ipods after sitting on them!

Oh and Sandrabing you have it bang on. Unless you have a willing friend in the US to order it for you you'll have to do it via the Irish website.

And remember, for that €238.37 you get free delivery (rather than being indebted to a 'mule', for the sake of a few quid that you'd probably feel you had to pay off anyway, in the form of a festive bottle o' hooch...) — and free engraving!

Eurofan, I enquired about an Apple logo body-tattoo option instead of the laser engraving on the iPod, but they told me they have 'no plans to introduce such a service at the present time'...