iPod scroll wheel broke- Any advice

The Punter

Hi,

I have a 40GB which is a couple of years old. The scroll wheel no longer works therefore i can no longer navigate. Has anyone had this problem and what are my options. I understand Apple are poor when it comes to fixing such problems. I have reset the iPod but to no avail.

Bad luck. I would call into the O2 experience or one of the apple stores & see what they have to say.

I've seen people sell spare parts & damaged ipods (for spares) including [broken link removed] on ebay. Though having a go yourself is probably a last resort.

Most of the apple outlets - O2 et al, use a repair shop on the street behind Whelans of Wexford Street. Apparently they do have a good supply of parts and are one of the main iPod trouble-shooters in Dublin. They are especially good if warranty has expired and you desperately need a new part. I can't remember the name of the place but that little street behind Whelan's isn't home to a lot of trade so it shouldn't be too difficult to track them down....

Ron Burgundy said:
but an iriver.....they are much better
To be fair, a several-year-old iRiver is probably as likely to have problems if used all the time.

The more recent iPods have a non-moving scroll wheel, which should last longer.

If the price of repair is very high, the original poster (The Punter) might be better off buying a new iPod...

ftb2 said:
Most of the apple outlets - O2 et al, use a repair shop on the street behind Whelans of Wexford Street.

That's news to me!

link might help. You will be prompted for serial number etc. I assume you went through all the usual troubleshooting steps, which are linked to this page also.

I had an out-of-warranty iPod replaced some time ago, but it was not cheap. I had hoped they would replace with a current model but what I got was a brand new version of the original model (2nd generation iPod), at about half its original retail price.

Apple customer service is pretty good, despite what some people say.

Hi, thanks to all my family having broken their ipods I have become a dab hand at fixing them, I would be willing to have a go at yours for a minimal price, I enjoy playing with them. Contact me through the forum, I think it is ok for me to do this as I am not really doing this comercially, and see what we can do.
Connor