iPOD Problems

mickeyg

I tried to update my daughter's new iPod lat night and had problems!
I got to uploading iTunes OK. I loaded a CD into the CD drive and from the instructions I got the impression that the CD content would automatically load onto the iPOD but nothing happened. Is there a step I'm missing here?
The iPod seemed to charge up OK.

You need to essentially copy ("rip") the CD to your PC or Mac using iTunes, then iTunes can automatically copy your music library to the iPod.

Check out the [broken link removed].

Monsieur, if you can actually see the individual tracks of the CD and indeed play them in iTunes does that mean they have been successfully "ripped"? This is exactly where I am but can't upload to the iPod

m

mickeyg said:
Monsieur, if you can actually see the individual tracks of the CD and indeed play them in iTunes does that mean they have been successfully "ripped"? This is exactly where I am but can't upload to the iPod

m

Ifyou can see them in the iTunes Library (as opposed to just in the CD window of iTunes) then yes, they are ripped to your PC.

Are you using a Windows PC or Mac?

If you open iTunes, then connect the iPod to your PC with a USB 2 or Firewire cable, after a few seconds, an iPod Mini or iPod icon should appear in the left panel in iTunes.

If you open the Preferences menu in the Edit menu, and choose the second tab - iPod - you should see an option under Music called "Automatically update all songs and playlists". This should be checked by default. If not, you could check this. (The only reason not to is if your music library is greater than the capacity of the iPod.)

You might also want to check "Open iTunes when this iPod is connected".

If the iPod tab is blank except for a line saying "No iPod connected" then your iPod is not showing up in Windows.

The quickest way to fix this is to reinstall iTunes with your iPod connected. (Check that you are running the latest version. Version 4.8 is currently on Apple's iTunes Download area. A new version 4.9 supporting PodCasting is out soon.)

You may also need to download an iPod update, but iTunes will probably do this for you.

PS Did you read the [broken link removed] ([broken link removed]

Last edited:
I think you've missed the 'import' step within iTunes (button on top right side when you're viewing the CD content) for a start. You'll then have to download your music onto your iPod.

Don't think of it as loading 1 CD at a time onto your iPod. Load one CD at a time onto your iTunes library, and then download your entire iTunes library onto your iPod in one operation.