Ipod on Aer Lingus long-haul flights

Brooklyn

The last time I flew Aer Lingus to America (2003) they did not allow passengers to use personal CD players at any time during the flight. I'm probably going to be flying them again next month - have they caught up with modern technology yet? I really can't bear the thought of a transatlantic flight without my Ipod

An IPOD should be fine. Use mine all the time.

I think laser operated equipment is banned. Althought I have flown with American Airlines and they hand out personal DVD players (up the front anyway) which must be modified in some way.

MM

An IPOD should be fine. Use mine all the time.

I think laser operated equipment is banned. Althought I have flown with American Airlines and they hand out personal DVD players (up the front anyway) which must be modified in some way. MM

What exactlyl is laser operated equipment. Surely a DVD player is not!!!

What exactlyl is laser operated equipment. Surely a DVD player is not!!!

It is ... anything with a cd/dvd is laser operated...

I have never seen a valid reason for banning them , i know most allow laptops now (which have a laser).... ipod's do not....

ipods are fine apart from takeoff and landing - I would be lost without mine on flights of any length!

ipods are fine apart from takeoff and landing
I know that's usually the case, but it was usually the case that CD players were fine apart from takeoff and landing too - it was just Aer Lingus that didn't allow them on long-haul flights. Have you been able to use an Ipod on an Aer Lingus long-haul flight?

I NEVER fly Aer Lingus long haul anymore, give me Air France or Delta any day. My SIL has just gone with AL on her J1 to California and she had no problem using her ipod.

AL used to explicitly ban the use of iPod in their safety notices. That restriction was removed a couple of years ago. iPod's are OK apart from take off/landing. I use them all the time.

Great, thanks. (I try to avoid AL under all circumstances these days, but unfortunately on this trip it meant the difference between €500 and €700 )

From the Aer Lingus site today (under Help Inquiry, Portable Electronic Equipment):

Portable Electronic Equipment

Portable electronic equipment may interfere with aircraft equipment, creating a potentially hazardous situation. With safety as a priority we pay particular attention to the following:

Mobile/Cell Phones:
These units must be switched off when aircraft doors close, or as instructed by a member of Cabin Crew. After landing, when the aircraft is parked, the engines shut down and the doors have been opened, the use of mobile phones is permitted. At all times, however, please comply with the instructions of the Cabin Crew.

Permitted in-flight but not during taxi, take-off, initial climb, approach and landing:
Laptops with CD ROM or DVD drive, palmtop organizers. Handheld Calculators without printers. Portable audio equipment (e.g. walkman, CD player, Mini disk player, ipod and MP3 player). For the comfort of other passengers these devices should only be used with a headset. Computer games (e.g. gameboy). Peripheral devices for handheld computer games are prohibited at all times (e.g. supplementary power packs connected by cable). Video cameras and recorder including digital equipment. Digital cameras. GPS handheld receivers. Electric shavers. Electronic toys (excluding remote controlled).

Devices prohibited at all times:
Devices transmitting radio frequency intentionally. Walkie talkies. Remote controlled toys. Display units with cathode ray tubes. Wireless computer equipment (e.g. mouse). PC printers. DVD, CD writers and mini disk recording mode. Digital camcorders when using CD CD write facility. Portable stereo sets. Pocket radios (AM/FM) TV receivers. Telemetric equipment. Bluetooth devices and devices that use "blueberry" technology are not permitted. The use of wireless LAN (WLAN) is not permitted. Laptops with built in WLAN (e.g. Cnetrino) may be used during the flight provided the WLAN is turned off and subject to the restrictions associated with the use of Laptops detailed above.

Devices that can be used at any time:
Devices powered by micro battery cells. Devices powered by solar cells. Electric watches. Hearing Aids (including digital devices). Pager (only receivers). Heart pace makers.

iPod ok but not during take off and landing...same as laptops.

My Shuffle is allowed during take off & landing as its got a chip