IP Camera

hansov

I was thinking about purchasing something like this :[broken link removed]. Maybe somebody might be able to help me here: I have NTL broadband which has I understand allocates a dynamic rather than a static IP address. If I hook up a camera like this to my wireless router via ethernet cable would it work? Thanks h

A friend of mine has one of these:[broken link removed] I think you're right, there is an issue with having static vs. dynamic addresses. Also you probably have a "NAT"ing firewall which I think complicates things further. Linksys have a "SoloLink domain service" to get around this. You'll need to see if this product has something similar.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I take it a normal webcam would work fine on ntl Broadband -dynamic address wouldnt be a problem?

Not a webcam user myself, but no, there should be no issue. Should be pretty easy esp. if you're using a messaging program like MSN, yahoo etc.

The difference between a web cam & the other cameras above is that a web cam has to be connected to a PC & will only work while the PC is on. An IP camera is an independent device.

thanks for introducing me to IP cameras. As low as 68e on [broken link removed]
Theres a nice [broken link removed] on that link which describes how the cabling connects, Im still unsure how youd access via web.

Ive got a BT router which has an IP address assigned say 241.xx.xx.xx, Ive a linksys wireless router off that which assigns addreses in the range 192.168.x.x. The linksys uses PPPOE to resolve addressing through the BT router.
Id assume hanging the IP receiver off one of the ports on the linksys either using ethernet for that ebay one or wirelessly as per other cameras features. How would I then access the camera IP remotely?

edit: found the answer, all got to do with opening ports. Excellent description on the site.

car said:
Ive got a BT router which has an IP address assigned say 241.xx.xx.xx,
Just one more bit to add to this - regardless of who you get your broadband from they all assign dynamic address' (the 214.xxx.xxx.xxx bit - unless you pay for a static one, prices vary I think Eircom charge €50/year). The 214.xxx address can and often is changed by the ISP without you knowing. You can get around this by setting up with one of the free services that monitor your IP, such as dyndns.org (no association).

These work by you creating an account and setting up an address, such as ip-camera-at-my-house.dyndns.org, you download a piece of software that sits on your PC and updates the IP address on dyndns.org's servers, say once a day, that way the ip-camera.... address is always correct. So instead of typing in the numbers (IP address) from your faraway location, you type in the ip-....dyndns.org address instead.

S.

thanks for the tip spock. Must try this now to see how cheap (and successfully) it can be done

I spent some time investigating setting up a system similar to whats being discussed here some months ago. I decided to hold back in the end - cant justify the outlay right now ( dont really have it at the moment!) - but its something I will sort out in the future - probably '07.

Anyways, the point i want to make is be very careful in what camera you buy. Theres a large variation in price - but by all accounts theres a corresponding variation in the quality of the video you receive from they camera. To get a camera thats going to be of a quality such that people in its path can be clearly identified - your going to have to spend a lot. Furthermore, if its required to operate effectively at night-time, then an Infrared camera will be required.

Not speaking from personal experience at all...but just relaying what I found out when I researched the subject a few months back.

Spock said:
These work by you creating an account and setting up an address, such as ip-camera-at-my-house.dyndns.org, you download a piece of software that sits on your PC and updates the IP address on dyndns.org's servers, say once a day, that way the ip-camera.... address is always correct. So instead of typing in the numbers (IP address) from your faraway location, you type in the ip-....dyndns.org address instead.

S.

Some routers allow this as well, I know my Linksys WRT54G has the facility (though dyndns.org recommend the software on a PC approach as being better this will mean you have to leave your PC on)

Back