involved in a car accident unusure whos fault it is?

L

leah123

a couple of days ago i was involved in a car accident, i was the passenger and my partner was driving. I was the owner of the vehicle and had fully comp. As far as i was aware my partner was covered as i had checked this when i was renewing my policy last year. Yesterday my insurance company explained to me i was not covered but the third party involved were. This morning my insurance company phoned again to say we are not covered at all does anyone know were i stand? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated????

if your name and your partners name are on the policy you are insured.

im not sure if u mean your partner wasnt insured or were neither of ye insured. if your partner was not insured but you were. Last year my brother drove my car and was in an accident, we both thought he was insured but he wasnt. Anyway what happened was he has to pay the other persons vehicle damage directly to her own insurance company, and my premium rocketed as my insurance company paid for her personal claim. they did this as although the driver wasnt insured the car was. My brother was taken to court for driving uninsured, and i was taken also for letting him drive my car uninsured.

Blossy obviously your brother didn't have his own policy of insurance, normally you can drive other cars and rely on your own policy, there are very few companies that allow you to drive all cars full comp,often when someone drives their own car they would be fully comp but driving others it might be only 3rd party so their insurance won't cover the damage to the car they were driving and the owner as in your case had to use his own insurance, your brother would only have been penalised for no insurance if he couldn't rely on a policy of his own.

... I was the owner of the vehicle and had fully comp. As far as i was aware my partner was covered as i had checked this when i was renewing my policy last year. ...
Look at the sections on your policy and your certificate of insurance headed "Persons or classes of persons whose liability is covered:" and "Drivers or classes of drivers whose driving is covered:". This will name specific drivers and as well as classes of drivers covered.

On what basis are your insurers disclaiming liability? 3rd-party only insurance, "the insured" as the only driver?

Sorry ya didnt mention that he hadn t his own policy, he only provisional licence anyway so wouldnt have been coverred either way. not sure of OP circumstances it just says he wasnt insured on the car in the incident.......so just told my story incase they similar ,