Investors badly burnt by misleading back-tests Business Post

Below is probably the most telling extract. The clearest indication yet from the Central Bank that multiple overlapping back-tests conducted against a background of strong markets could be grossly misleading. They claim to have addressed the gross abuse since Fagan/Woods complained about it 5 years ago - but that wasn't until last year. I fancy the FSPO are going to be busy.

Hi Brendan
Yes, Brian and I complained to the Central Bank, before the launch date. We told them that the index, which BNP Paribas had devised and which had outperformed the EuroStoxx50 by something like 4% a year on average for the previous 18 years (15 of them before the index went live) was going to underperform in future. It did - spectacularly so. The CBI didn’t act on our request that they force Broker Solutions to change the marketing literature or write to applicants before the launch date.

Was this one that you reported to the Central Bank?
Fagan/Woods submitted a complaint 5 years ago (see attached). I'm just a humble duke informing your parish. Fagan also predicted 5 years ago right here that the "Deep Value" index would undershoot the EuroStoxx 50 by at least 20% over the next 5 years despite the brochure showing it had beaten the pants of its benchmark over the previous 18 years, never mind the outrageous back-tests which the Business Post focussed on.
(Ah I see Fagan has beaten me to it)

Attachments

• Joint Complaint re Marketing Material for the Secure Accelerator Bond 4.docx
    18.6 KB · Views: 8
For investors to be guaranteed a minimum 85% return, does not close to this amount need to be put on deposit?
Remember in 2019 some deposit rates were in negative territory.
With just 15% to be 'invested' and charges to be applied, why the big surprise at a negative return?

Absolutely! In the above complaint that Fagan/Woods submitted to the CBI, this is how they put it:
And yes you are right and I think many folk whilst not seeing it so clearly as you do just reckon it is too good to be true. But clearly not everybody has that protective common sense and if presented with the brochure by a regulated financial advisor they can be forgiven for jumping at what looks a sure thing.

Hi @charlie007. Of course we weren’t surprised but I’m sure that everyone who bought the product on the basis of 1,304 successes out of 1,304 back-tests was surprised. They were also surprised I’m sure that, while its benchmark, the EuroStoxx50, had gone up by something like 38% in the period, the index to which the product was linked fell over the same period. This was the same index as had outperformed the EuroStoxx50 spectacularly over the previous 18 years. That’s why we complained to the CBI about it back in 2019. We knew something like this was the more likely outcome - but the punters weren’t told.
Sorry! I only saw the Duke’s post after I had posted.

Its truly terrible performance when you see how the markets have had outstanding performance since 2019 apart from the covid sell off, and value stocks have performed the best of all since the arrival of inflation. Its obvious that this fund like alot of these so called "low risk" funds had way too much money invested in government bonds the worst investments since covid and the ending of the negative interest rate era ended the government bond bonanza

No it wasn't bonds to blame. Below is how Colm satirically described this weird index 5 years ago: (I leave it to Colm to give his more colourful explanation which has attracted plaudits on LinkedIn for its heuristic value.)

Last edited:
No it wasn't bonds to blame. Below is how Colm satirically described this weird index 5 years ago: (I leave it to Colm to give his more colourful explanation which has attracted plaudits on LinkedIn for its heuristic value.)

Did they actually artificially pick the stocks which did well in retrospect, despite the huge drag, and create an index out of them?

So I could find the 20 best performing stocks over the last 10 years, take 5% a year off their performance, and it would still have been very good?

So I could look at the results of yesterday's race meeting. If I had backed the winner in each race, I would have had a return of 500%. Even if I knocked it back by 50%, it would still have been a great retrospective return. But the chances of the same system working in tomorrow's race meeting would be very small.

I see it was constructed as a "deep value" european focussed index, in theory that should have way out performed as european value stocks were very undervalued in 2019. Therefore they were obviously investing in "value" stocks after they had out performed. Even the msci world etf has increased by 50% since 2019, but of course our stupid investment taxes are discouraging people from simply buying this etf because you have to give nearly half of that to government with no indexation for high inflation rates since 2019. The government themselves are partly to blame for this as they are indirectly channeling people into these inappropriate products rather than simple etfs

Last edited:
I think something like that is what happened. They have the defence "what better way than to pick a system which did well in the past despite its obvious handicap?" The way they put it is the options on this strategy are mispriced based on past performance. Impossible to expose. But ask yourself if they had discovered a massive arbitrage why share it with jo blogs?