Investments via Revolut

Belfryhill

Hi,

I bought some crytocurrencies via revolut. If I sell and profit is less than €1,270 do I have to notify revenue?

Also, I'm considering buying shares via revolut? Is it the same tax treatment. As long as I don't make more than €1,270 in any tax year no need to declare to revenue?

I think revolut only allow shares in american companies to be purchased.
Thanks

At the end of the year when you access your Revenue Online account to review your tax 2020 they ask if you have had any other income and this includes investments etc.

But I don't believe Revenue doesn't have access to this information. I know some people who have made some money investing in these online platforms and have not declared considering is a small amount.

I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't inform Revenue, but I don't believe that they have this kind of information if you don't tell them. As a self-employed Uber, Deliveroo and Just It deliverers have to inform their incomes because those companies don't do it.

Cheers,

Last edited:
But I don't believe Revenue doesn't have access to this information. I know some people who have made some money investing in these online platforms and have not declared considering is a small amount.

I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't inform Revenue, but I don't believe that they have this kind of information if you don't tell them. As a self-employed Uber, Deliveroo and Just It deliverers have to inform their incomes because those companies don't do it.

The crux is likely if Revolut ask for your PPS number when you register.
It was years ago when I signed up to Revolut, and I recall having to give my passport details and take a selfie, but I don't remember them asking for my PPSN. That was before the days where Revolut had trading and cryptocurrency though.

Back