Investing in Gold - cost involved?

DaveD

So, say I have €10,000 and I'd like to protect it value over say 5 years, and assuming I believe hyperinflation is a possibility, is gold a safer bet?

I know I don't have to physically have the gold but can buy gold certificates or something to say I'm the owner of some quantity of gold. What costs are involved in buying and selling gold, assuming its value per oz stays the same?

Came up in conversation yesterday, no particular plans to hoard coins under the bed, but if I had €10 million in the bank and I believed hyperinflation was a real possibility then I think I'd have to seriously consider the "currency" I held the money in.

There have been loads of discussions about gold in this forum over the last 3 or 4 months. Do a search for posts by user "george.shaw" .

Rgds,
Bogle

Re: Investing in Gold - cost involved?

There are a number of ways to invest in gold. It is a question of examining each option to pick the most suitable for your needs. You may discover that the cost of investing will not be your top priority.
For example, you may feel more comfortable knowing that if you need some cash in a hurry, you can sell part of your holding during trading hours for settlement in just the same way as an equity investment. Alternatively you might like to have coin or bullion under your own control. You should ignore all those that pass their opinion on the merits or otherwise of investing in gold as most are biased one way or the other. However historically gold has been considered a store of value in inflationary times. There is no substitute for doing your own research.