Investing in domain names

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Whizz

Anybody know anything about this, I have heard there is some potential in it................

If you mean buying domain names and then sitting on them until somebody wants to buy them from you then (a) I doubt that there's much money to be earned from this and (b) there are, I believe, rules in force these days that prevent people from engaging in "cybersquatting".

Not necessarily, purchasing an established or "catchy" website name, and then earning money from the advertising revenue. All depends on how often the advertising on your site is accessed, it can be pretty lucrative I hear...............

Yes! It's 1999 again!!!

Does anyone know where I can get some webvan shares?

Ok you got me, webvan doesn't ring a bell but you'll enlighten me, right?

Thanks

Yes - it must be 1999 again seeing that the idea of using to search for a mystery term isn't that obvious to some people...

Why would someone pay to advertise on a site that no one visits?

You are with stiff competition if you want to get into the cybersquatting/extortion business. These people are often closely linked with domain registers, and have automated systems in place that grab available domain names the instant they become available. (Like snapnames etc)

As indicated above, the whole thing is a bit old hat. The bottom fell out of the domain names market around the dot com correction.

www.payback.ie

^ I'd hardly call that the least visited site on the internet!

Excellent marketing contributed to that success story.

Just out of curiosity... you don't particularly care about 'ethics' do you?

What you are proposing is to buy a domain, put very basic content on it (1-2pgs), plaster it with adverts and then try to push it up the SERP's.

This is called MFA (Made for adsense) and is a growing problem that Google and others are trying to crack down on it. It is a pain in the butt for web users, expensive and wasteful for advertisers and unfair to genuine website designers.

Sorry if I come across too harsh, but I feel strongly against what I think you are proposing.

CGorman said:
Just out of curiosity... you don't particularly care about 'ethics' do you?

Forget about ethics. It's a shame he won't direct his entrepreneurial energy towards something productive..

I'll probably get roasted for saying this, but here goes ...

There's a slight possibility that the original post was simply a question. That's all, an innocent (perhaps naive) question from somebody who may not be familiar with the fact that there has been some bad press around "cybersquatting", and who may not realise that the idea he/she has put forward is not necessarily a new one.

Heck, he/she may not even have considered the fact that there are "ethical" issues around the idea ... I could be wrong, but I just thought I'd throw the notion out there.

At least now WHIZZ has a better understanding of the issues surrounding investing in domain names.

Possibly, given the original post.

Whizz said:
Anybody know anything about this, I have heard there is some potential in it................

However, they obviously know a bit more than their letting on through the 2nd post.

Whizz said:
Not necessarily, purchasing an established or "catchy" website name, and then earning money from the advertising revenue. All depends on how often the advertising on your site is accessed, it can be pretty lucrative I hear...............

The 2nd post indicates that they're more than just asking about cybersquatting as per the original answer by Clubman, and are more interested in the more complex procedure mentioned by CGorman.

Christ, I'm sorry I brought it up!!!!! Thank you "thehill", my original post was a question and I was looking for fair and honest feedback on a subject that I am not very informed on so go easy on the criticism........
but i get the message, its not a very popular subject so steer clear of it............

I think that the original question has been addressed so I am closing this thread due to the potential for escalating controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.