Investing in Credit Agricole Auto Bank via Raisin Bank

Logo

Hi,

I have invested in Irish Prize bonds for the past few years, earning a dismal 0.7% annually approx. so I plan to reinvest the funds where I can get a better return within the next 2-3 years. Thanks to AAM, I've been checking on the Best Buys Deposit forum and it looks like Credit Agricole Auto Bank via Raisin will deliver a much better return. However, I've never directly invested in a bank outside of Ireland except for Northern Rock and I am a bit apprehensive at the prospect. I do realise that the responsibly to invest is ultimately mine but I would appreciate if anyone here has any experience.

Thanks in advance,
Logo

Last edited:
I have invested in Irish Prize bonds for the past few years, earning a dismal 0.7% annually approx
The be fair, putting money in Prize Bonds (and I have a few grand in them myself) isn't really an investment but, rather, buying a ticket to a regular/ongoing raffle that is refundable at its nominal face value.

Equally, putting money on deposit for c. 5 years may not be the ideal investment depending on your overall financial circumstances.

What is your concern? Risk? The institutions involved? Customer service? Or something else?

The risk is regarded by most as low due to the deposit protection offered.

Raisin have being operating for many years now without any major issues. The registration process is all online and fairly straight forward.

Credit Agricole are one of the bigger financial instructions in Europe. Albeit this offer is from their Auto Bank division.

I have just opened the 2 year product with CAA - used raisin for several deposits previously. very seamless
As Lightning says - deposit protection up to 100k and no witholding tax with CAA either

I would have thought given your Northern Rock experience you're as well placed as any on here to know what happens if the bank fails.

I put 100K for a year with BBF in early 2023, BBF is an italian bank sponsored in Raisin. The rate was 4% (nothing witheld). On the day of the vesting exactly a year later, I got 104k deposited in my Raisin account. I wired back 54000k to my AIB account put the other 50k in a different bank. Everything was fine, all smooth, no problems at all.

I've had two term deposits mature through banks in Raisin. I must say too, that the payout from Raisin was very fast. Once you are registered with Raisin its fairly easy and straightforward to setup/apply for other banks within the Raisin sphere. Always best IMO to choose banks without witholding tax.

How do you know which ones have withholding tax?

How do you know which ones have withholding tax?
They've always flagged that in the T&C's and more recently those that don't attract tax are flagged pretty clearly on the main summary page.

Just to be clear even though there is no withholding tax liable in the other other country you'll be liable for it here - unless you're exempt from DIRT.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240919-065952.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 4
Thanks all. I suppose I was most concerned by the risk involved and it is reassuring to get feedback from others who invested with positive outcomes.