investing for my children

T

thcce5

I want to invest 50000euro of my redundancy for a term of 5 to 10 years so that I can help my children educate themselves. My oldest child is 8. My wife is working and I have a small "rainy day" fund as well. should I invest in share's etc or stick to the bank's?

Personally, in the present climate, I would consider some of at least in Post-office Saving Certificates. Perfectly safe, DIRT free and best interest rate over their 5.5 year term.

If you're investing for your children I'd be thinking about more risky avenues due to the timeframe. You state 5 to 10 years. Defo stay out of bog standard deposit accounts. If you do have risk aversion, at least find a high interest account (money in many of these institutions is 100% safe for now).

If it was me, I'd be investing in equities (through funds if necessary)....this is not just me paying lip service....I have a 4 year old daughter and I have invested in various highish risk funds for her through RaboDriect. And I will continue to do so via drip-feed.

I would like to invest for my kids future education.

Is there any legal taxfree way to do this ?

or do you just invest in your own name with the plan to allocate it to kids in future ..
i even have some relatives who would like to do the same.

is a trust fund only for the very rich ?

The link to the following thread under the Taxation Section may be of interest to you, "Revenue Refund for Child" - it was started on 21/11/2011

Back