Invalidity Pension granted....what next

wanttomove

Hi,

I just got a letter to say I had qualified for Invalidity Pension. I applied on the advice of my doctor. I have been on Illness benefit for almost a year now but unfortunately my condition is chronic and i am not going to get better.

My question is - what do I now do about my employer? Do I have to resign from my job? I am 63yrs old and have been working for them for almost 10 years. I'm unsure of what to do next. If anyone could answer that for me it would be a weight off my mind.

Thank you.

Your invalidity pension has nothing to do with your employer, I assume before you were granted IP you were in receipt of illness benefit. I presume you are not being paid by your employer but if you were you would have to notify them. Regarding resigning I don’t see why you should - do you have to submit weekly doctors certs? Is there any benefit in staying on i.e pension etc., Good luck for the future.

Hi Feemar5, thank you for replying. Yes, I am in receipt of illness benefit and no, my employer does not pay me any sick leave. I no longer have to submit weekly doctors certs to them as they sent me to company doctor and an occupational therapist who all concurred regarding my condition.
I'm not sure if there is any benefit in staying on? I'm very lucky in that I have had very little dealings with the social welfare system so I'm just cautious in case anyone may think I'm not being upfront about everything.
My employer is a big multinational and i am just a factory worker (another number) I do not and have not paid into a company pension either so was fully expecting just to receive state pension at 66 or 67 or whatever age is is now.
To be honest I'm quite shocked this came through so quickly, I was led to believe it would take a considerable length of time. I applied for a medical card at the same time as the invalidity pension and that has not even been accepted as of yet!

I would not resign. If your company were ever to introduce some sort of redundancy package you could still apply as an employee. I am surprised that you are no longer submitting sick certs to your employer though. Were you actually told in writing not to do this?

I agree with Laramie - have you any communication from the company to say that you are still on their books. I would not resign - did you get any written report from their doctor or therapist? You could contact them and ask what is the procedure if in the future you were able to return to work - in that way they will let you know if they consider you are still an employee.

Back