intumescent varnish

S

Severian

Hi,

(I'm a Newbie to the forums)

I've recently converted my attic and had a timber ceiling put in place.
The Structural Engineer suggested we coat the ceiling with intumescent varnish but I'm having difficulty locating a supplier in Ireland (never mind dublin).

Does anyone know where I could get intumescent varnish?

thanks in advance

Fireseal in Dun Laoighaire (a water based coating by JW Bollom is one of the products suitable).

Why on earth did your structural engineer suggest intumescent paint for your ceiling? Never heard of that before and I shoud know. You should get back onto him and ask him why, exactly, you should go to that expense.

Why on earth did your structural engineer suggest intumescent paint for your ceiling? Never heard of that before and I shoud know. You should get back onto him and ask him why, exactly, you should go to that expense.
Good advice if you ask me, there are limitations on the extent of combustible linings (surface spread of flame) allowed under Irish Building Regulations and the application of an acrylic intumescent varnish is a very small component of the overall build price.

I would have thought the engineer would have insisted on Intumescent varnish. I thought all timber clad ceilings had to be coated to prevent the spread of fire.