Intestacy & Probate Researchers

M

MistyP

I have been contacted by a probate researcher advising me that I may be the beneficiary of an intestate estate & asking me to sign a contract to enable them to act on my behalf. I have contacted the Treasury Solicitor's office who have advised me what documents I need in order to put forward a claim on the estate and they have informed me that they will deal with the first person submitting a valid claim which has a full set of supporting data.

Can anyone advise me what I would I need to do if I found the documents they need & became the first person to submit them? Would I have to take over the administration of the estate, would I be responsible for finding other long lost relatives etc? At what point would I have to accept the relatives I had found were likely to be the only ones remaining and distribute the estate to them? What happens if an unknown relative turns up after the distribution of the estate?

And, if the probate researcher submitted the first claim acting on behalf of a relative who had signed up to them, would they be obliged to consider my claim without me signing their contract? Would they be obliged to tell me what solicitor (if any) that they used to administer the estate? Could they ask for different information than that required by the Treasury Solicitor in order to hinder any claim I made to force me to use their services?

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Are you in Ireland? Sounds like you're in the UK or US but this is an irish specific site.

Ah, sorry guys, yes I'm based in England. Found you searching 'Google' for answers & signed up without realising you were Irish specific.

Thanks for the link, I shall have a read of that but should anybody read the thread & have any insight into English Law, that too would be most appreciated.

Thanks again

Back