Internet without Eircom

wavejumper

We've just asked Eircom to disconnect us as we were only using the landline to browse the net. Our last 2 monthly bill was about 25 euro for some 25 mins free talk time, the 39.99 euro connection and 6 euro worth of internet. We have asked an alternative to Eircom given our usage patterns but they don't need to be flexible given they own the landline and don't have competitors.

Is there any alternative that would allow us to browse the net at home? Don't need high speed. We have a bluetooth and airport express enabled laptop, so i'm thinking something like wireless...anything out there worth our while?

Depending on where you live you have up to 2 options of broadband without the phone line

1) - Cable

Broadband delivery via you normal TV Cable - NTL offer this but only in limited geographical areas at the moment (west Dublin mainly I think) - Chorus may in some other places.

2) - Wireless

Wireless broadband from an antenna somewhere to a receiver in your house (depending on the technology could be extrenal or internal). The largest company here are Irish Broadband - there are others including Leap & Digiweb also - exact availablity will depend on where you live. I can't honestly recommend Irish Broadband anymore - i've been with them for nearly 2 years .. they used to be great but they seem to have lost it totally lately. Other companies in the field may offer better service.

I could add Satellite also as a 3rd alternative - but I dont' think that really works so well and is expesnive and you still need a phone line for uploads as far as I know.

thanks evildoctork. We are in killester, d5, the house is wired for cable tv but not connected right now. We might reconnect but then I had a look at NTL and indeed we ain't convered.

As for wireless broadband, roughly how much do they bill you monthly? I am kinda looking for an alternative to paying 60 euro bimomthly to eircom when the cost of browsing the net for those months is just 6 euro...doesn't make sense to use the net at home for such little use.

Back