Internet Keeps Disconnecting

bigbadostric

Hi all,

I have a 2mb Irish Broadband (Imagine now) breeze connection which I am routing through a wireless router I set up myself. It used to work fine but recently it has been disconnecting a lot and I am having to repair the connection by right clicking the wirless icon and hitting repair, which is very frustrating. Does anyone know why this might be happening? My router is pretty new so I don't think it is the problem.

I presume you mean that he wireless LAN connection from PC/laptop to wireless router is the problem? Were there any changes to the router or PC/laptop around the time it stopped working reliably? That should be your first step.

You could look at checking if there is a firmware update available for your router that might help or a driver update for your wireless card but if things used to work then it would seem odd that you would need to do anything in this regard...

Could there be new wireless LANs in your vicinity that might be affecting your connection to the router? Try running Inssider and seeing what it detects. If there are a lot of neighbouring LANs on the same channel as your router then try changing to a different channel. Bear in mind that only channels 1, 6 and 11 are (theoretically) non overlapping. For example if there are other wireless LANs nearby with a low dB attenuation then try switching to a different channel and see if it helps.

This is probably correct as there are a lot of different wireless network. I will have a go at switching the channel Clubman, thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.