Internet explorer/Winsock problems

munsterman25

Hi there,

I have a problem with internet explorer. I have re loaded all my software back onto my PC because of virus problems. Now internet explorer wont open. I can connect to the internet fine but when I open IE it says' cannot display page'.

I ahd this problem before and my bro fixed it from something he found on the net. He cant remeber what he did. I know its something to do with WINSOCK.

Any help. Its driving me banannas

munsterman25 said:
I have a problem with internet explorer. I have re loaded all my software back onto my PC because of virus problems.

Do you mean that you did a full reinstall of Windows itself and all applications?

Now internet explorer wont open. I can connect to the internet fine but when I open IE it says' cannot display page'.

Do you mean that IE won't open at all or it does open but not display any pages that you connect to?

I ahd this problem before and my bro fixed it from something he found on the net. He cant remeber what he did. I know its something to do with WINSOCK.

How do you know that it's Winsock this time?

You should at least try FireFox or another browser to narrow the problem down. If you can connect with another browser then the problem is IE and not Winsock.

Diagnosing and fixing problems like this is a process of elimination and detailed information gathering. The more structured the approach and the more detailed the information you can provide the easier it will be for people to make useful suggestions.

Im 99% sure its winsock. I know its only a tiny thing that needs doing cos the bro did it before but has forgot the plonker. Ya the intenet connects to my intenet provider and IE opens but will not display the page. through entensive searching of the net all indications point to a winsock problem

Being 99% sure that it's Winsock is no substitute for evidence (e.g. logfiles etc.) that this is actually the case in my opinion. Anyway, anything useful ? Or ? What version of Windows? Did you reinstall Windows as well as all applications?

Ya re installed everything including windows ME.

Might try firefox tonight cos my bro has it on his PC>

Wanna get my interent back up and running and then download newest version of exploere and get some good virus protection

If you can post more details of the download site and fix it might help others.