Internet Explorer Secure Sites

roxymusic

Help! I cannot access secure sites ie to pay a bill or to book a flight etc. Problem seems to have arisen after updating Microsoft updates-I think. I have tried Microsoft support but cant make sense of the so called solutions. I want to avoid having to delete everything of the hard drive?

Thanks

Roxymusic

An error message or more detailed information describing the problem might help.

ClubMan said:
An error message or more detailed inforamtion describing the problem might help.

Hi the message below is what I am getting when I try to access a secure site i.e. Permanent TSB of Ryanair. I have no problem accessing sites which are not secured. This problem appears to have manifested itself after I downloaded Microsoft Updates. I have been advised that this problem of accessing Secure Sites can occur after Service Pack 2 for Windows XP is downloaded. However as far as I know this was already installed with my 04 Dell Computer. Whatever the reason, the Internet is not functioning as previously & I wonder is the problem now a Windows problem, perhaps in the registry. Thanks Roxym

pagerror.gif
The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.Please try the following:
  • <LI id=instructionsText1>Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    <LI id=instructionsText2>If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
    <LI id=instructionsText3>To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). <LI id=list4>See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
    1. <LI id=instructionText6>Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. <LI id=instructionText7>On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
    2. Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
    <LI id=instructionsText5>Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed. <LI id=instructionsText4>If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

woods said:
Do you have your security setting up too high.

No I dont think so. Basically all set fairly low & I've gone through the usual steps/checks with Eircom support, but still have problem. Was onto Microsoft support & tried some of their troubleshooting but unable so far to find a solution. I'm wary of getting into Windows registry etc. I wish one could just delete Internet explorer & re load it again. However I understand that the problem might be in the Registry ? Thanks Roxym

Have you tried System Restore to roll back to the pre Windows Update setup and see if that fixes the problem? If it does then I would recommend investigating in more detail to see what specific patch causes the problem rather than simply ignoring all later updates.

Or just install FireFox and ditch IE for all but essential stuff like Windows Update access. :D

ClubMan said:
Have you tried System Restore to roll back to the pre Windows Update setup and see if that fixes the problem? If it does then I would recommend investigating in more detail to see what specific patch causes the problem rather than simply ignoring all later updates.

Or just install FireFox and ditch IE for all but essential stuff like Windows Update access. :D

Thanks for that Clubman. Firefox allows me to access those secure sites that I couldn't access with explorer. However how secure is Firefox for say accessing bank account details & so on?

Presumably your bank access is over an SSL (HTTPS) connection in which case any browser is as secure as any other (in terms of the socket level encrypted communication stream) since SSL is a transport layer security service provided by the Operating System to higher level applications. In other respects FireFox is arguably more secure and less prone to cracking attempts than IE. Partially because it is still less popular with users and consequently crackers but also because it is arguably better engineered.

Back