internet explorer question real or virus

johnwilliams

got this when switched on my windows 7 pc this morning
Your browser is an important piece of software on your computer. It is what you use to surf the internet: it’s the window around the web sites you visit.
There are many browsers available, each with a variety of features. On the next screen, you can select and install any additional browser(s) you want.
Please Note: The Browser Choice update unpinned your browser, Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer, from your taskbar, but you can pin it back if you want. Click here to learn more.
Internet Explorer is still available from the Start/All Programs menu.

before i press any buttons is it real

I run Windows XP on my laptop and PC and got these messages recently too. I just closed the message and deleted the shortcut from the desktop.

I think they're genuine, something to do with the Microsoft v EU court cases on unfair competition on browser software?

Last edited:
More here.
Microsoft is providing the Browser Choice update to comply with a legal settlement with the European Commission. Microsoft is required to inform customers who currently use Internet Explorer as their default browser that there are other web browser choices available. You can use the Browser Choice update to select and install the web browser you want to use on your computer.

Back